Feeding Hens Eggshells?

resplendeo

Hatching
9 Years
Jun 25, 2010
I'm going to be getting my first chickens in a while, and I just remembered what my great-grandma used to do on her farm with her--gosh, she must have had like fifteen hens.
But yeah, she'd give them the shells so that they'd have enough calcium--is that right? Is that what you do? Complete newbie here.

You can I would not recommend giving it to them straight I would scramble an egg and mix the crushed egg shell with it. Or put it with yogurt or mix with something.

Last edited:
After I use the egg for my breakfast, I let the eggshell dry on the counter for a day or so, then I crumble it up and add it to the bucket of kitchen scraps I saved for the chickens.

We alway's give the shells to the bird's.Yes best if they are dried out a bit.Some people put them in oven for a bit and cook the shells first.I keep an extra carton around and just put them in it for a couple day's then dived them up with the bird's.

I hard boil my eggs and put it in a ziploc bag shell and all and stomp on it then feed to the chicks/chickens. They love it!
smile.png

I save all my egg shells and have my friends do the same. I dry them out for a day or so, then bake them. Once cool I crush them with a bottle or something and either mix it with their feed or mix it with treats I feed them. I also will hard boil eggs for them, crush those up, complete with shells, and add the crushed shells to that mix.

Back
Top Bottom