Feeding in the coop

inspectorjim

Hatching
8 Years
Jun 2, 2011
I have 15 chicks that are now about 6 weeks old, and am now transferring them into their coop. Being new in chicken raising, do I feed the chicks in the coop, if so do you continue feeding them after they are fully developed? Also, do I need to cover the entire floor with bedding? The coop is approx. 7' by 5'. Thanks, Jim

Quote:
My 12 hens are 8 wks old. I keep the feeder and waterrer inside the coop, both off the floor, the waterer is 12 inches off the floor with access from perches. It used to be on the floor but got filled with shavings (bedding) all the time, since I raised it the water stays clean. I also have a good 5 inches of pine shavings throughout the coop. On hot and cool days they like to burry themselves in it to chill or to keep warm. By winter I will have increased the shavings to about 10 inches deep for the winter. They have access to a large closed-in run from dusk 'till dawn. They told me yesterday that they love their new home and the exceptional services provided and promise to lay lots of eggs when the time comes. I'm holding them to it.

Last edited:
Appreciate your imput and helpful info. Do you use dowel rods or 2 by 3's for their perches? I live in N. Balto. County, MD and the winters get pretty cold where I am.

I have 15 chicks that are now about 6 weeks old, and am now transferring them into their coop. Being new in chicken raising, do I feed the chicks in the coop, if so do you continue feeding them after they are fully developed? Also, do I need to cover the entire floor with bedding? The coop is approx. 7' by 5'. Thanks, Jim

You can feed them in either the run or coop depending on your set up. You need to consider ease of access and rodent/ predator issues. If you feed in the run, you need to make sure the feed will not get wet and moldy. Some people bring in the feed in from the coop every night. I usually hang my feeders so that they are even with the chickens backs. They stay cleaner that way. My water is up on bricks , also even with their backs. I am not sure what you are asking about when you asked if you have to continue feeding them after they are fully developed. They don't eat at night,
but yes, by all means keep feeding them!
lol.png
My perches are 2x4's horizontally attached. In the winter you may want to cover the entire floor, but it depends on how often you clean, which way does your door open, do you have poop boards, and just stuff like that. Just see what works for you, you will be fine.​

Back
Top Bottom