Feeding kitchen scraps to my flock

I don't feed mine left overs, but I do feed them kitchen scraps. Meaning I give them the parts of the fruits and veggies that I don't use. I don't give them meat, onion, garlic, or citrus. I also give them yogurt and bread. They free range two hours and day and eat up lot of bugs at that time.

Mine get dinner left overs everyday. They love meatballs and my potroast with carrots and potatoes. Plus what ever is growing in the garden. They love meat and I believe that they can smell it when I walk into the yard. They come running a little faster! LOL!

yes yes yes, chickens love meat!!!! as someone said, they are raptors, my little dinosaur friends...

meat meat meat...

i prepare meat dishes with oats for them and it is their favorite thing... they know what pot i use for the meat and when i am carrying it they swarm me, like crazy mob of chickens! i often cook down fat and bones all day so the oats absorb the yummy meaty liquid.... i live in a particularly cold, rural area and in the winter i pick up a lot of roadkill (mainly venison) and freeze it or turn it into jerky so my chickens can have plenty of meat all year round...

my hens are beautiful, healthy, lay many eggs with golden yolks, and have amazingly lustrous feathers... i attribute it to the meat... oh yes, and they are free range all the time and eat a huge amount of fresh alfalfa and stuff in season... and i feed them raw goat milk when my goats get their foot in the milk pail or if the milk has been in the fridge a few days...

i also give them plenty of kitchen scraps, the only thing i found they don't like is onions and onion peels, and citrus.... and anything that is visibly moldy is bad for them...

Quote:
I don't keep any small cooked bones around in case the dogs get hold of them, but otherwise, no foodstuff in my household gets wasted either. I have 8 dogs, a cat, a parrot and the 7 chickens. I save salads, apple cores, pears, tomatoes, and any meat scraps.
I have found that my chickens will turn their noses up at most orange veggies.... carrots, sweet potatoes, etc. Otherwise, they seem to like just about anything we like. We also throw a handful of scratch feed to them a couple times a day, as a treat.

those worms should not be getting meat scraps! to create more food for my worms, i often feed them grass clippings or yard waste... they seem to like it...

but yes, make a deal with the neighbors or local restaurants...

Back
Top Bottom