feeding layers

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by sarmartur, Dec 23, 2015.

1. sarmartur

sarmartur Out Of The Brooder

May 8, 2015
    When you feed layers do you feed the ones that hasn't started yet the same food if they are in the same coop. I don't have chickens yet but getting all the information before hand and thanks for answering

Sarah

2. oldhenlikesdogs

oldhenlikesdogs Lots of Chickens Premium Member

Jul 16, 2015
    central Wisconsin
    I personally don't feed layer anymore, I will leave mine on a non medicated grower or I will switch them to an all flock. In the past if I had young ones mingling with old ones I would put everyone on the grower, than switch back to a layer when everyone was laying, I always have oyster shells available free choice.

3. dlp40

dlp40 Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 1, 2015
    Florence sc
    I feed , if they are all the same age, layer at the time of the 1st egg. If they are different ages, starter grower-grower finisher- all flock. I have free feed oyster shell with all at all times.

4. aart

aart Chicken Juggler! Premium Member

Nov 27, 2012
    SW Michigan
    My Coop
    Agrees with oldhenlikesdogs.

My Feeding Notes: I like to feed a 'flock raiser' 20% protein crumble to all ages and genders, as non-layers(chicks, males and molting birds) do not need the extra calcium that is in layer feed and chicks and molters can use the extra protein. Makes life much simpler to store and distribute one type of chow that everyone can eat.

The higher protein crumble also offsets the 8% protein scratch grains and other kitchen/garden scraps I like to offer. I adjust the amounts of other feeds to get the protein levels desired with varying situations.

Calcium should be available at all times for the layers, I use oyster shell mixed with rinsed, dried, crushed chicken egg shells in a separate container.

Animal protein (mealworms, a little cheese - beware the salt content, meat scraps) is provided during molting and if I see any feather eating.

5. Folly's place

Folly's place Chicken Obsessed

Sep 13, 2011
    southern Michigan
    I also feed Flock Raiser, oyster shell on the side, and some scratch. They free range and find goodies if the ground's not frozen. Mary

6. sarmartur

sarmartur Out Of The Brooder

May 8, 2015
    i am planning to use nutrena naturewise.And could i just use starter and grower until all breeds start laying then get the layers but will get the oyster shell when the start laying
    Thanks for answering
    Sarah

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by