feeding laying hens medicated feed?

kgdubois

Songster
8 Years
Apr 26, 2011
West Texas
hello all -- first off, I apologize if this has been covered before. i did a search but couldn't find the info i needed.

my question is in regards to feeding my laying flock medicated feed...i have a mixed age, mixed breed farm flock that i use for eggs & meat. I have a 50# sack of medicated chick feed that a friend gave me, and I'd like to feed it to my birds...is it safe for me to do that? i am 2 weeks away from having my second child, and my two year old eats at least two or three eggs a day (he LOVES them). i don't want to be ingesting anything unsafe, but can't find the answer to my question anywhere...help please!

thank you!

i was wondering the same thing,i have a mixed age group.i have been feeding my young chicks medicated feed.the feed i have is suppose to help with cocci.

I don't have the bag close, but it is the Purina Nutrena medicated chick starter...if I remember correctly the bag is red. My hens get the Purina Layena pellets.

Corid (Amprolium) does not Restrain, Prevent or Reduce Thiamine, so how does inhibit Thiamine intake? It may lower the amount of Thiamine that is taken into the body but it does not reduce the amount of Thiamine available. The body is still producing the same amount of Thiamine.

Chris

Last edited:
Okay, folks, whatever it does has something to do with the thiamine that the oocysts that cause cocci feed off of, but that wasn't the OP's actual question.

Unless things have changed, Purina's medication is just amprolium and it is fine to eat the eggs.

Back
Top Bottom