Feeding laying hens

Chaerie

Chirping
Jul 5, 2017
I have 4 jersey giant chickens, I bought them about 3 weeks ago. The previous owner was feeding them pellets and corn, but the hens don't seem very interested. They love weeds from the garden. I got them a hanging feeder and I kept throwing meal worms in it until one of the hens pecked into the feeder, but they're not eating the pellets. Like, at all. This morning they were just milling around making sounds instead of scratching like they usually do, and this was a couple hours after I had thrown out some more pellets and corn on the ground. Should I be concerned? They're usually busy scratching and don't make a lot of noise.

Feeder crumbles are usually better then pellets and chickens prefer those a bit more. Also, you may want to try purina layer crumbles. It's what I use for my chickens and they love it! It's high quality feed. Hope this helps.

How old are they? Try giving them multi flock. Also, check the mill date of your feed. Is it less than 6 weeks old? Old feed is rancid and the birds will not eat it and will not derive much in the way of nutritional value from it.

I have 4 jersey giant chickens, I bought them about 3 weeks ago. The previous owner was feeding them pellets and corn, but the hens don't seem very interested. They love weeds from the garden. I got them a hanging feeder and I kept throwing meal worms in it until one of the hens pecked into the feeder, but they're not eating the pellets. Like, at all. This morning they were just milling around making sounds instead of scratching like they usually do, and this was a couple hours after I had thrown out some more pellets and corn on the ground. Should I be concerned? They're usually busy scratching and don't make a lot of noise.
Try giving them ground up grain called mash. See if you mill grinds it. They use corn and alfalfa and other grains mixed with vitamins and calcium. Its called layer mash. My birds don't like pellets either. They might eat it if they were starving.

I think I'd try grinding the pellets, assuming they are fresh, rather than discarding them .

You know what worked! I soaked the pellets in water! But when I get through this bag I'm going to try something else, like a crumble or all flock. Also, I'm going to try out a smaller bag instead of getting a huge one!

Chickens hate change, so mix the new food with what you are now feeding, so the change is gradual. I like the all-flock feed, with oyster shell separately for laying hens, for all my birds. The Purina Flock Raiser is a crumble, easy for everyone to eat. Mary

Back
Top Bottom