Feeding left overs

Dutchy

In the Brooder
11 Years
Mar 19, 2008
The Netherlands
Warning: Newbie question alert

Ok...having bought some layers pellets, which I presume will be a balancd diet for my chickens (when I get them) what sort of balance do you feed....I mean...considering that the layers pellets are a full meal does'nt it mean that feeding table scraps will over feed the birds or that they will eat the scraps at the detriment of the balanced layers pellets...I hope th this makes sense..

Many thanks
Dave.

How old are the chickens that you are getting? I feed my chickens table scraps plus they free range a lot and that does not seem to be over feeding. I have 2 RIR', 1 BR, 1 EE, 1 silkie and 1 game hen. If the chickens you are getting are one day old or so, they need to be eating chicken starter for the first few weeks.

Welcome to BYC!

Last edited:
Many thanks for the reply, the hens that I will be getting are arond 23 weeks...the only things stopping me getting them now is that for the past 2 weeks I have been builidng the coop and run but have been fighting the rain
wink.png
wink.png

Cheers
Dave.

Actually, you are correct in assuming that since layer pellets are a complete balanced diet, treats are not necessary. However, the highlight of a chicken's day is when you feed them treats! Conundrum! The trick is moderation and healthy choices. Scratch and corn should not be given except in very cold weather because it heats up the birds. Plain probiotic yogurt is good for their digestive tracts. Greens such as Romaine lettuce in small quantities are good in winter when there isn't much green food naturally available. Black Oil Sunflower Seeds (BOSS) is also a good choice, again, in moderation. One way to be certain they are mainly eating their layer food in your case would be to feed treats late in the afternoon. They will eat almost anything! There is a chicken treat chart on this forum with very useful information. Be sure to read all the way to the bottom including all the links! I'm sure you will enjoy your chickens as much as everyone else on BYC! Hope this was helpful.
smile.png

Back
Top Bottom