Feeding live fish?

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by Andi-N-drew, May 27, 2017.

1. Andi-N-drew

Andi-N-drew Just Hatched

May 25, 2017
    Planning on feeding my hens some leftover bait. They are live pin fish. Should I cut the barbs off them? They are rather sharp and I wouldn't want it to cause injury.

2. Poultry parent

Poultry parent Chillin' With My Peeps

If they could hurt the birds then cut them off

3. Top Rooster

Top Rooster Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 16, 2015
    North East Oklahoma
    I've given them a dead fish they weren't fans of it and wouldn't eat it so I doubt they would eat it. The fish wasn't rotten or anything it just died in our pond recently at the time

4. Andi-N-drew

Andi-N-drew Just Hatched

May 25, 2017
    We ended up feeding them the fish( I did cut the barbs off just to be on the safe side) they loved it. I guess it just depends on the chicken and the fish.

5. Andi-N-drew

Andi-N-drew Just Hatched

May 25, 2017
    Thats why I asked. You see birds eating the same fish all day long. Seeing as chickens are not shore birds I wasn't sure if they could gobble them up the same as a shore bird. I'm still curious to know, but not going to experiment with it just in case.

6. jolly wattles

jolly wattles Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 27, 2017
    West Tennessee
    Saw a video where someone put a tiny kiddy pool into their chicken run and put live minnows in it. The chickens caught every last one. They loved it! Gonna give it a try one day.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by