Feeding mash to hens that are used to crumbles

ninadeeputz

In the Brooder
6 Years
May 9, 2013
Adell, WI
We have about 30 laying hens that vary in age. Most are 2-3 years old and a few are probably 7+ years old at this point. We like all of them so even when they are old, we keep them on as a pet. Well, they have been eating crumbles all these years and we want to switch them to an organic brand that only comes in mash. But the chickens don't like it! They hardly eat it and a lot of it ends up on the ground. It's hard to justify spending a little more on their food if they don't even want to eat it! Any ideas to get them used to it and be happy about it? Thanks!

I did the same in terms of the switch. I was resistant at first, but I ended up needing to ferment or at least soak it. Otherwise the fines get left and they are important. They clean it up now though and I do feel it's a better product!

I switched from crumble to pellets by mixing 50/50 for 2 weeks and then just adding pellets to the feeder as needed, till it was only pellets. I also tossed the pellets on dry ground as a treat. That won't work for mash. They totally love the pellets. I don't know if it'll work from crumble to mash. But give it a try. Even if it does you may want to make a no waste feeder or wet or ferment the feed, as there could be lots of waste. GC

As with dogs when you change their food it should be done slowly....

They liked what they had before so now they must adjust

Interesting. I expected resistance but they went bonkers over the mash. We have a mill nearby and the last bag I got had literally been ground the day before. I believe that makes a BIG difference. So, I'd suggest you check the date on the bag. Stale food is common at some stores and it wasn't until I really started looking that I realized just how long they'll let it sit.

Back
Top Bottom