Feeding mealworms vs darkling beetles??

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by Chakra, Jan 22, 2013.

1. Chakra

Chakra New Egg

Jan 22, 2013
    Need info on feeding darkling beetles vs just feeding mealworms. found this and am concerned the beetles are not good to feed.

All feedback appreciated :)

2. Gallo del Cielo

Gallo del Cielo La Gallina Resort & Spa

May 6, 2010
    Tucson
    My Coop
    First of all, welcome to BYC! No need to worry at all. There are hundreds of species of darkling beetles; the ones referred to in the video are Lesser Mealworms (Alphitobius diaperinus), which are a pest associated with poultry houses. These beetles live in the litter and can vector various pathogens to and from poultry. The darkling beetles people raise to feed their chickens are Yellow (or Common) Mealworms (Tenebrio molitor). They generally do not harbor the same pathogens and it is highly unlikely such pathogens will infect your colony and then be passed on to your chickens. Check out the mealworm thread for all that you ever wanted to know about them.

3. Chakra

Chakra New Egg

Jan 22, 2013
    @Gallo.... thanks for the nice welcome [​IMG] & the link, I will check it out. Good info...

4. ChickensRDinos

ChickensRDinos Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 19, 2012
    Los Angeles
    Hello! Agree with gallo. The mealworms you farm at home are fine to feed at all stages of life. My dogs even like them. bleh.

5. Chakra

Chakra New Egg

Jan 22, 2013
    OK, read it all and watched a few videos. So in conclusion....is that a 'yes' or 'no' on feeding the actual beetle (stage)?

6. Gallo del Cielo

Gallo del Cielo La Gallina Resort & Spa

May 6, 2010
    Tucson
    My Coop
    There's no harm in feeding the adults (beetle) stage. However, if you're interested in raising more than one generation, I'd hold off on feeding the beetles until after they are dead. They are worth more to you for propagating the colony than as feed for chickens.

Last edited: Jan 24, 2013
  7. Chakra

Chakra New Egg

Jan 22, 2013
    Gallo... thanks so much for answer!!!! At the point where I get overrun with beetles, just making sure it's ok to feed them. thanks again!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by