Feeding mixed flock

ChicKola

Chirping
Jul 5, 2021
So I have mixed ages and both males and females in my flock. I’m wondering when and how to go about feeding as I know requirements change.

I have a 12 week old Buff Orpington, a 10 week old Sapphire Splash, and about an 8 week old lemon Cuckoo. All pullets.

But I also have nine 6-8 week olds (3 of them are more than likely cockerels)

They’ve been successfully integrated and are doing good together. They’re all still on starter 20% non medicated feed.

What do I do when the oldest 3 start nearing laying age? Would all-flock be good for everyone at those ages?
Will the younger ones and boys know to not have oyster shells if I have them out for the older ladies?

New chicken mama here sorry if this sounds ridi

Attachments

• C386A743-94DD-494F-AD04-8506C5539BDB.jpeg
    C386A743-94DD-494F-AD04-8506C5539BDB.jpeg
    1.1 MB · Views: 11
What do I do when the oldest 3 start nearing laying age? Would all-flock be good for everyone at those ages?
Will the younger ones and boys know to not have oyster shells if I have them out for the older ladies?
I feed my hens and roo All Flock. I have oyster shell on the side.

When I put the littles out with the adults, I'll feed the starter to everyone until the littles are about 8-10 weeks old, then mix it with the All Flock.

My rooster pecked at a piece of OS. He dropped it, stared at it, picked it up, dropped it again. Then he looked at me as if to say, "What is this stuff?"

Even if they will be laying, if you provide a calcium supply separately from the feed they will be fine even with an all flock.
When I put my youngsters with the adults I switch them all on a 20% protein pellets (which can be provided from 8 weeks old).
They have calcium in a bowl on the side and I never had a problem, but they also have access to the pasture when they want.

Back
Top Bottom