1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Feeding our roo?

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by AmandaKyle, Mar 6, 2017.

1. AmandaKyle

AmandaKyle Chillin' With My Peeps Premium Member

Apr 13, 2014
    Kingston, MA
    It never occurred to me until today that our rooster (around 10 months old) perhaps shouldn't be eating the layer feed that I give to the hens? Is that correct? If so, what should I be feeding them? This is my first time owning a roo, and honestly, I never had any intention of keeping one so this is new to me!

Thanks!

2. Dmontgomery

Dmontgomery Chillin' With My Peeps Premium Member

Apr 1, 2014
    Longville, La
    Layer feed will not harm the roosters in any way. I fed laying pellets/crumbles to all my flock for several years without any problems. I switched over to an "all flock" feed this summer only because I was tired of trying to keep the adult birds out of the chick feed. Since switching, I haven't noticed any changes in the roosters at all. It sure hasn't hurt their manliness, if you know what I mean!

3. lazy gardener

lazy gardener Chicken Obsessed

Nov 7, 2012
    CENTRAL MAINE
    I agree. And this will most likely ignite an other war about how we are killing our roos and non laying hens by feeding them layer. Many flocks stay on layer ration year round, and it's an extremely rare report of a roo EVER getting sick. Most roos stay very fit until they meet the chopping block or a predator. As for non laying hens, IMO, they can benefit from that extra calcium to build their reserves.

4. chickens really

chickens really Overrun With Chickens

I mix layer and grower for my Birds...I also have Chicks in my flock and put a bowl of starter out also...Everyone eats what ever they want.....I never think to hard....;).....

Really no need for wars!!!......leave your reply and walk away......This is for the OP....Not a Debate...;)

Cheers!

5. AmandaKyle

AmandaKyle Chillin' With My Peeps Premium Member

Apr 13, 2014
    Kingston, MA
    Thank you all for your replies! The last thing I would want to do is start a war! I think for now I will continue to feed the whole flock layer. When my chicks hatch I will do my best to keep them separated and on chick starter for as long as I can. Our roo seems healthy and the eggs are fertile!

6. chickens really

chickens really Overrun With Chickens

;).....Cheers!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by