feeding pullets/hens

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by goatcrazed6, Nov 24, 2009.

1. goatcrazed6

goatcrazed6 Out Of The Brooder

Oct 19, 2009
    upstate NY
    I have 8 pullets and 3 hens, none of which are laying at this time. Hens are molting and pullets haven't started. I feed them purina layer pellets from tractor supply. I am going to call them free range because they have 1/4 acre to themselves which is fenced in. Well, they do share with 3 goats. lol. Anyway, how can it be possible they eat 12 cups of their pellets and still act like they are starving to death later in the day? I know the goats don't eat the food as they cannot get to it and I have actually sat and watched all day to be sure it was just chickens. They aren't over weight or anything, but it seems like a lot. Any input? Thanks!

2. Chris09

Chris09 Circle (M) Ranch

Jun 1, 2009
    Ohio
    My Large Fowl Rhode Island Reds are penned 4 hens and 1 rooster to a pen and go through 64 ounces of 22% protein feed a day..
    64 ounces= 8 Cups a day. Now that doesn't include Scratch..

You may have to bump there feed some..

Chris

3. PandoraTaylor

PandoraTaylor RT Poultry n Things

Jun 29, 2009
    Alaska
    Most large fowl breeds eat 1/4 pound of feed per day per bird, depending on weather.....in heat they eat alittle less, in cold they more than double their intake. (not including what they forage, scratch or treats)

Last edited: Nov 24, 2009

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by