Feeding Pumpkins to Free-range Chickens

how do you prepare the pumpkin for them? just the seeds? just the pumpkin “guts”? both together? both seperate? cooked or uncooked? is it healthy? how often can it be given? ducks too?

Put pumpkin in run. Throwing it forcefully enough to break it optional, though once they've gotten familiar with pumpkins/squash they'll peck into it promptly.

When I had the in-town chickens I often brought home damaged produce for the chickens. What they didn't eat became one with the next layer of deep litter bedding. :)

Sad to say my birds ate all the squash, the zukes and the watermelons while the fruit were quite small, then proceeded to eat all the leaves o ff most of the plants. I was hoping for at least a couple veggies for myself, but no, the greedy ... took them all for themselves.

Maybe I'll add pumpkin to the plantings next year.

They can't eat it all, right???

We have had great success keeping our gardens safe from chickens with this fencing. We don't electrify and chickens stay out, and it's super easy to install/move around...
https://www.premier1supplies.com/poultry/fencing.php

Since then, I've started using this fencing for breeding pens and brooder pens. The regular fencing doesn't keep chicks in, but the chick fencing works well and I'm going to try their new no-shock hen fence. I think it could work as a breeder or brooder fence.

Back
Top Bottom