Feeding question

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by gottsegnet, Mar 24, 2009.

1. gottsegnet

gottsegnet Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 19, 2009
    Nebraska
    We have four egg laying chicks that are a week or two old (I don't know how old they were when we got them from the feed store). How long until you can start giving them bits of table scraps?

Thank you!

2. cockadoodle

cockadoodle Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 20, 2009
    Denver
    [​IMG]

Pretty common question I've seen. 90+ percent of their food needs to come from their starter feed. They will need to have access to grit (the parakeet kind) and then check out...

https://www.backyardchickens.com/web/viewblog.php?id=2593-Treats_Chart

My chicks are about 4 weeks old at this point and I've started giving them a little yogurt, a scrap or 2 of lettuce and yesterday in the backyard they were having a lot of fun eating a few ants that were running around [​IMG]

They will need access to grit to digest most things that aren't their starter food...

Have fun!

3. txchickie

txchickie Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 15, 2008
    Texas
    I'm new to feeding the baby chickies anything but starter, too. But I did start giving alfalfa sprouts and wheat grass at about 3 weeks, along with the parakeet grit (found it for $1.38 in the pet/bird section at walmart....).

I figure I'll break out some yogurt for them within the next couple of days. They're 4 weeks old now. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by