Feeding question!

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by Morgan7782, May 17, 2010.

1. Morgan7782

Morgan7782 Dense Egg Goo

Mar 22, 2010
    Sacramento CA
    I have two 6 week old pullets, and I am curious what to expect. I will only have two hens, if we do get anymore we'll adjust accordingly lol, but I don't want the feed to go bad.

How long would it take two standard breed (Barred Rock, and Easter Egger) hens to go through a 50 lb bag of feed? (including waste sadly.. unless you have non waste tips in that case chime in)

Should I buy smaller quanities? Will feed go bad before they go through it?

I know most have larger flocks, but any input is good input. I hate to keep paying by the lb if the feed doesn't go bad quickly. Thanks again. (will probably store in metal garbage cans with bungee shut lids).
  2. briteday

briteday Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 16, 2008
    Northern NV
    With your heat and humidity I would worry more abut spoiling during the summer. It will take a long time for you to go thru 50 pounds. Our feed store sells 25 pound bags. Or you could spit with someone who has a flock and would sell you some. Otherwise, if you have the freezer space, you could seal up some gallon freezer bags and take them out as needed.
  3. DTRM30

DTRM30 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 25, 2009
    Based on what my girls eat - about .25 lbs per day - 50 lbs looks to last you 3+ months. I would see if you could get smaller bags of feed so the humidity doesn't get your feed before your hens do. But it's more expensive that way (as with everything, you save by buying in volume).

Maybe you could find some air tight storage bins ?
  4. Morgan7782

Morgan7782 Dense Egg Goo

Mar 22, 2010
    Sacramento CA
    Thanks for the input, I will check for a local feed store to carry smaller bags then the 50 lb ones. I hope I can find something, or at the least find somebody to go dutch with on it. Thanks again, I will try to avoid the huge bags for the sake of humitity
  5. fl_deb

fl_deb Chillin' With My Peeps

May 7, 2010
    Also, you might want to use plastic instead of metal because metal can "sweat" more due to condensation and can make your feed go bad.

Good luck!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by