Feeding raw fish!

chickenbaby

In the Brooder
11 Years
Jun 10, 2008
Tooele, Utah
I normally throw in leftovers for my chickies and they pick out what they like and dont like. My hubby has a ton of fish from a fishing trip and we wont eat it all. Can you throw in a whole fish and they peck around the little bones or should I grind or debone? With bigger animals I know they will peck around the bones but I've never done it with little fish bones. Has anyone ever done this?

Wow! Lucky you! They love fish but it is a good idea to freeze it first just incase of parasites then toss it to them in fishsickles. They'll usually eat the bones and all. Some people worry about it changing the taste of the eggs but it would have to be a lot of fish at one time to do that.

I have seem my chickens peck at the fish heads I have thrown them, but they much prefer if I boil the fish till the flesh and bones are tender. then they wolf it down! The only problem is it makes your kitchen stink a bit
big_smile.png

I agree with freezing first. I prefer to freeze anything I didn't raise myself before feeding to my animals. There are various parasites they can get that while not always common can be severe. Search up salmon poisoning and trichinellosis and you'll see what I mean.

Back
Top Bottom