1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

feeding rice?

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by Equest94, Dec 19, 2007.

1. Equest94

Equest94 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 29, 2007
    New York
    My chickens LOVE food. They'll eat anything and everything but I want to make sure the stuff I give them isn't bad for them.

I have a little left over tomato soup that has rice in it...I was going to heat them up some and give it to them as a warm and tasty treat....

is this ok?

2. S n M Poultry

S n M Poultry Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 31, 2007
    Riverside,CA
    yes cooked rice is ok to feed chickens

3. Rosalind

Rosalind Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 25, 2007
    Mine gobble down the leftovers from the rice cooker whether I put curry sauce in there or not, so I'm guessing they'll be fine.

Canned tomato soup can be a bit salty though--I'd worry more about that, but I wouldn't worry enough to not give it to them, you know? I'm assuming you're not planning to give them Campbell's on a daily basis.

4. Equest94

Equest94 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 29, 2007
    New York
    Thank you for your responses. I just need to get rid of some left overs and thought they would appreciate it, lol. [​IMG]

Is there anything that is really bad to feed them?

Last edited: Dec 19, 2007
  5. ZuniBee

ZuniBee Chillin' With My Peeps

May 8, 2007
    Zuni, Virginia
    My wife makes huge bowls of cooked rice and feed it as a treat. You would think the world was coming to an end the way the chickens go crazy. They love it.

6. earthnut

earthnut Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 18, 2007
    Seattle, Cascadia
    Sounds yummy for both humans and chickens! [​IMG]

The no-no's I've read are raw potatoes, citrus, sugar, and salt. (though a little sugar and salt shouldn't hurt them) And of course mold.

7. birdnutz

birdnutz Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 6, 2007
    wyoming
    Avacodo is poisonious to birds.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by