Feeding roosters layer pellets

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by MissJames, Feb 12, 2009.

1. MissJames

MissJames Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 17, 2008
    Coastal SC
    I have one rooster in with my hens.It will soon be time to switch to layer feed.I never thought about this before,but does the rooster also eat the layer pellets?I'm assuming they must all eat the same thing.

2. katrinag

katrinag Chillin' With My Peeps

It will not hurt him at all. Mines eats what my hens eat.

3. digitS'

digitS' Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 12, 2007
    ID/WA border
    I was surprised to learn from one BYC'er that some of the commercial outfits do have a special feed for their roosters in breeder flocks.

This isn't always the case, however. So, people whose livelihood depends on the health of their hens AND their roosters often feed them exactly the same food. I think problems are more from feeding immature birds a high-calcium feed.

Here's what a poultry scientist at the Department Animal and Poultry Science, University of Guelph in Ontario has to say about roosters and breeder/layer feed: "It is also interesting to realize that most roosters today are fed high-calcium breeder diets, which provide 4-6x their calcium needs, yet kidney dysfunction is quite rare in these birds."
    http://www.omafra.gov.on.ca/english/livestock/poultry/facts/prebreeder.htm

Steve

Last edited: Feb 12, 2009
  4. B. Saffles Farms

B. Saffles Farms Mr. Yappy Chickenizer

Nov 23, 2008
    Madisonville, TN
    All of our roos eat laying pellets.

5. Snakeoil

Snakeoil Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 10, 2009
    SE Iowa
    He will never know the difference.

6. DawnSuiter

DawnSuiter Chillin' With My Peeps

I went round and round with this for months as I have quite a few roosters. I ended up opting for a feed I can give everyone, and chose to add whatever extras were needed on the side.

7. cajunlizz

cajunlizz Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 27, 2008
    Lafayette, Louisiana
    Quote:How many roosters do you have ? Rule of thumb is like 8 - 10 hens for every one rooster .

All my hens and roosters eat laying pellets ... I d give very little cracked corn in the morning as atreat , but the MAIN feed is Purina Layena pellets

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by