feeding scoops and tools

picklespickles

Songster
12 Years
Oct 27, 2007
a family member has been saving for me these gigantic non dairy creamer containers that have handles on them. sort of like a milk jug, but with a much bigger mouth. perfect for feed. seems to hold about four pounds or so. i LOVE it. much better than anything official. plus can set it down and since it has a bottom to it, doesn't tump over. the only thing is i have been feeding chickens more which i'm sure they're not complaining about. my budget is though.

i will ask her to keep saving these for me.

do you find unusual uses for everyday implements? what do you do with them?

I do not have a pic but I found a flower pot (for hanging on the wall>so flat backed) with three holes in it for something like hanging lobelia or such) that i use for a feeder ... I have it hanging up in the roof covered part of the run...

I have used a few cane poles and a chair leg for roosts, does that count?!
lau.gif

Last edited:
When I feed my girls wet treats-ie. oatmeal, yogurt, cottage cheese, etc. I pu down a small table cloth and place the treats in the middle so they won't get covered with shavings. They were jumping aroud in it before, and then in the pine shavings and they looked like they had on big clumpy slippers! Plus, the vinyl cloths can just be wiped/hosed of poo!

We use toilet brushes to clean waterers and buckets. The long bristles get into the nooks and crannies and the long handle keeps your hands out of the yukky duck backwash.

I did find my favorite coffee cup in the galvanized can we store scratch in.
th.gif

Seems DH has been giving out treats while I am at work. I found a new scoop for him. It is a scoop made from the ingredient jugs they use at Starbucks. It is small, has a handle and is great for small amounts of stuff.

We use a houshold fan on a stand to run in the shed converted to Duckingham Palace. In the winter, it keeps the air circulating and the moisture evaporated. In the summer, it keeps the little princesses cool.

these are some great ideas. i am espcieally going to get a toilet brush from the dollar store to scrub containers with.

today, DUh, i finally sat the goats water up really really high so taht the geese couldnt' climb into it. lol. the goats like it super clean. funnily, though, since that water got drank less, it froze where as the buckets of water with far less water in them didnt' because they were used more often and so i gues had more movement in the water. the lessons we learn.

Quote:
I second that. I love the molded handgrips on folgers containers. Would be great for late winter plant starting containers as well.

I used old coffee cans and old pans to make feeders. Use milk jugs with top cut off so I can still use the handle for feed scoops. And the toilet brush for waterers is the BEST! Oh, also use old 5 gal buckets that were used for stuff like detergent to carry water.

Back
Top Bottom