feeding scratch to chicks

amandabo

In the Brooder
10 Years
Sep 14, 2009
I have 2 baby chicks someone gave me that are about 2 weeks old. thought I might throw little scratch in their box to keep them busy but didn't know if they were too young for it. how old should they be before I start giving them scratch?

Quote:
Hi amandabo,

It's OK to gice a little scratch to chicks. Scratch can vary. If it looks like it might be too large for them, crunch it up smaller. Also it is recommended that treats be kept to 10% or less of their diet. And if you give foods other than their starter food you should give them some chick grit so they can grind it up. Congrats on the chicks.

Imp

A little scratch as a treat won't hurt them. But make sure the starter feed is their primary diet and that you put a little grit out for them too. Congrats on have some new chicks!

Quote:
Hi amandabo,

It's OK to gice a little scratch to chicks. Scratch can vary. If it looks like it might be too large for them, crunch it up smaller. Also it is recommended that treats be kept to 10% or less of their diet. And if you give foods other than their starter food you should give them some chick grit so they can grind it up. Congrats on the chicks.

Imp

GMTA!
lau.gif

I've always have given scratch to my baby chicks. You should be able to get chick size scratch. Most feed stores have it, I think.

My chicks freak out for scratch. I put it in my hand so that they will become domesticated. I use it as just a snack though. When I stick my hand in there brooder to change the water, they swarm my hand looking for it. I think a little scratch here and there is fine but it shouldn't be their main source of nutrition.

A small amount of scratch is just fine!
smile.png
Be absolutley sure you offer grit or mix in their feed or you could end up with impacted crops

For young chicks such as yours I use rolled oats for scratch. Every other day I sprinkle some over all of the bedding and they keep it turned up and fluffy looking for it.

.....Alan.

I agree with Alan..... ( also from North Central Florida - Ocala).... My chicks love rolled oats better than anything, except maybe mashed banana with rolled oats mixed in it. Been giving them oats for some time now. when they were small 2 wks and currently (8wks) they got and still get a mashed up boiled egg once in a while.
When they go into the coop at night I give them oats. So now they go in by themselves about 7:45 so they can get their oats. I have a jar of grit available at all times for them. Have not given them any scratch yet. May start that next week. They are out all day in the run part of the tractor digging around for whatever so i guess they are ok for scratch.

Back
Top Bottom