feeding sheep?

If all you want them for is pets, then why breed them at all? I'm not trying to rain on your parade, but it sounds like you want to keep the grass mowed and get more enjoyment than what a lawnmower would bring. A few wethers would mow the grass and make wonderful pets.

well my mom loves the lambs and i told her we could keep a couple and she is looking forward to seeing the cute little lambs. anyway i would probably only want a couple of lambs and then i would stop breeding them. maybe if i could just get a lamb a year or something.

I can't blame you one bit for that-lambs are cuties.
love.gif

i know they are!!! even if i decide i dont want the lambs after they grow up or something i can just sell them. i am not expecting to make any money off these sheep. they are gonna be my pets and my lawnmowers. ( the lawnmower part is essential because i have 20 acres of field. i am fencing in 6 for sheep)

Well, you do NOT want a ram. They can be very dangerous. that leads to the problem of how will they be bred?

Katahdins are not very small so alot of people dont think of them as a pet type sheep. I have some and like them, but I am also getting some soays. Have you considered soays? They are a mini sized hair sheep. Hard to find but worth looking for some and making a drive. the rams are much smaller and therefore somewhat less dangerous. I have a katahdin ram, that would probably kill me given the chance. He is very strong. A ram that is always kept with ewes will often be aggressive. If you only want a few sheep, he will have to be with the ewes all the time, and you wont be able to make pets of the ewes because of his presents. If you descide to seperate him then you need a companion for him. You see it is annoying breeding sheep when you only have a handfull. I do it though. You can always butcher a ram lamb in the spring once he has been of service. Or you can try and find ram service but this is not easy at all.

My ram was not bottle raised but, bottle raising the lamb is what makes the the MOST dangerous:

Beware of the bottle raised male orphan!
By
Joseph M. Stookey
Professor of Animal Behaviour
Western College of Veterinary Medicine
Most people have an appreciation and understanding that mature male animals (bulls,
rams, stags, etc.) are potentially dangerous, but most people fail to appreciate that the
most dangerous males are those that have been bottle raised. Such males become
dangerous because of the fact that they have imprinted onto people; it has neither to do
with how they were treated nor is it due to their genetics. Bottle raised males are simply
“programmed” due to their hand rearing to one day threaten their human rivals.
How is it possible for a tame pet to turn on its caretaker or other humans? First off, all
avian and mammalian neonates are born with a preprogrammed drive to imprint onto
their mother. Imprinting refers to a critical period of time early in the animal’s life when
it forms attachments and develops a concept of its own species’ identity. Imprinting
provides animals with information about who they are and for males it determines
specifically who they will find attractive when they reach sexual maturity. Only a few
species like cow birds and cuckoos, that are essentially parasites in another bird’s nest,
can be reared by surrogate parents and get things “right” when they reach sexual
maturity. The famous German ethologist, Konrad Lorenz demonstrated the imprinting
process in goslings and ducklings and showed that in the absence of their real mothers
these precocial birds would imprint onto their human care taker.
Imprinting has long lasting and important biological and psychological effects on adult
sexual behaviour, which is often irreversible. Males that have been imprinted onto
another species tend to court the surrogate species that raised them. For example, ram
lambs that are raised on nanny goats will court and try to breed female goats when they
reach sexual maturity and they show very little interest in ewes. The same pattern
unfolds in birds. Some farm families have the embarrassing pet tom turkey who spends
his entire life courting and pestering the family members that raised him. That is why in
captive breeding programs for endangered species like the whooping crane or the
California condor the hatchlings are raised and fed by bird puppets. The human
caretakers must stay hidden from the young birds in order to ensure they are properly
imprinted onto the correct species and not imprinted onto humans. Fortunately young
females that imprint onto the wrong species are usually not affected and will remain
attracted to the courtship displays from males of their own species. That is why ewe
lambs that are raised on nanny goats will breed to rams even though their surrogate
mother was a goat.
The point to remember is that orphan males of most species will imprint onto their
surrogate mothers and then later in life will direct their sexual behaviour towards the
surrogate species. If humans become the surrogate species it creates a potentially
dangerous situation. When the male reaches sexual maturity, in addition to his
misdirected attraction, he will have bouts of male aggression that he will direct against
his human “competition”. Male aggression is a normal part of sexual behaviour. In
nearly all our livestock and wild species (horses, dogs and cats may be the exception)
bottle raised intact males will show aggression towards humans when they reach sexual
maturity.
Most people mistakenly believe that dairy bulls are dangerous because of their genetics.
It is true that most dairy bulls are dangerous, but it has more to do with their rearing
conditions then their genetics. Most dairy bulls are hand reared in isolation which
contributes to their behaviour towards humans when they become adults. Dr. Ed Price, a
behaviour researcher from the University of California at Davis, has shown that Hereford
bull calves raised in isolation and hand fed by humans became dangerous to people when
they reached adulthood, whereas their group raised counterparts where not mean towards
people.
There are numerous examples of intact male animals that were wonderful pets as young
animals, but grew up to become killers or potential killers of their human caretakers.
When I was a child one of my neighbors was forced to shoot and kill their pet whitetail
buck they had bottle raised, after it had attacked them during rut. This story is not
uncommon. There were 15 deer related human fatalities over a 5 year period in the
United States (Langley and Hunter, 2001); many of these were likely the result of bottle
raised males. During the same time period another 142 humans were killed by cattle.
Though the statistics did not state the exact circumstances, some of these fatalities were
certain to have been caused by hand reared bulls. The “berserk male syndrome”, talked
about in llama circles, whereby a male llama suddenly becomes aggressive towards
people is not a syndrome per se, but the result of bottle raising the male llama. Even
bottle raised ram lambs that seem so friendly and docile while growing up have been
known to inflict severe injury onto their caretakers or an unsuspecting visitor (who turns
their back towards them) when the ram becomes mature.
What should you do with orphan newborns? The best option is to look for other lactating
females in the herd or flock who may have lost their own offspring or who have
additional milk. Such females can be excellent candidates provided that they can be
tricked into accepting the orphan as their own. How to get a surrogate mother to accept
the newborn as her own is a story in itself. However, assuming the adoption or cross
fostering is successful, this offers the best possible method for rearing the orphan since a
surrogate mother will likely have the right milk composition, plus she is willing to remain
“on call” for 24 hours a day.
The take home message is that newborn male orphans of deer, elk, bison, cattle, sheep,
goats and llamas should never be bottle raised or at the very least should be castrated
before reaching sexual maturity in order to avoid a dangerous and potentially lethal future
situation. Please spread the word.
References,
Langley, R. L. and J. L. Hunter. 2001. Occupational fatalities due to animal-related events. Wilderness
and Environ. Med. 12:168-174.
Price, E.O. and S. J. R. Wallach. 1990. Physical isolation of hand-reared Hereford bulls increases their
aggressiveness toward humans. Appl-Anim-Behav-Sci. 27:263-267

There are numerous examples of intact male animals that were wonderful pets as young
animals, but grew up to become killers or potential killers of their human caretakers.

Here's one right here:

Sam the Ram
250 lbs of bad attitude

Sam2008003.jpg

Sheep are not necessarily friendly unless you train them everyday to come to you with grain or corn as one writer mentioned. They are naturally wary unless you spend a lot of time with them, and even then its not like they like to be cuddled or petted as a cat or dog does. If you are going to have lambs your ewes need more than grass about 2 months before the lambs are due - extra protein is essential to help the lamb develop in the womb and to provide a good milk supply for them after birth. I raised market lambs with a flock of 15 ewes for about 20 years. Each ewe had 2 or 3 lambs in a birthing and almost all of them raised them completely on their own milk. But the mothers need a little extra during that nursing period. You will need hay depending upon your climate and how long your winter period is when grass stops growing. Another point is that sheep are herding animals - they do not do well alone. So anyone buying a lamb as a "pet" should have two and that may present some problems unless you are selling them for meat.

Back
Top Bottom