Feeding show silkies

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by SilkiesAndSuch, Jul 31, 2010.

1. SilkiesAndSuch

SilkiesAndSuch Silkie Daddy

Jan 27, 2010
    Mayo
    Ok. I have blue, splash, and as of recently, white silkies and need to know what would be the best way to feed them. My local feed store carries Nutrena brand feed and I was wondering what would be the best feed to give them. I have read on and on about giving birds game bird feed and I will start buying game bird feed if everyone agrees that I should feed them this. My birds are the children of show winners and many of them have turned into wonderful birds that I plan on showing so I would like them to be in the best condition I can afford. I am trying to abstain from feed with corn because I have read about how
    corn is not good for white feathered birds and turns them yellowish.

What other things should I add to the feed that would make good supplements to the bulk feed I give them?

I would really like the advice of silkie breeders if possible, as each breed is different and, though they may share many similarities in the way they are raised, etc, each breed of show bird has certain requirements for maximum beauty and conditioning.

-By the way, they are currently on Nutrena Chick Starter/Grower-

So, should I buy the Nutrena Game Bird feed as use it as the bulk of the feed, keep feeding them chick starter/grower until they start laying and then switch to layer ration as the bulk of the feed, mix the starter grower with layer and use this mixture as the bulk of the feed, or use any other sort of mixture?! Lets also keep in mind that I am an 18 yr old with limited funding.......​

2. SundownWaterfowl

SundownWaterfowl Overrun With Chickens

All of my silkies, adults and chicks are on 20% crumbles. Once they get big enough, I start giving them some grains like wheat, and some cracked corn (usually only in the winter) and sunflower seeds mixed in with their feed. They also get calcium chips mixed in with their food. I tried keeping them on the regular layer feed, but their laying decreased and so did their condition. I wont use anything less than 20% now. I also give them fresh clipped grass each day since they have sand runs. I breed the buffs so I dont have to worry about the corn yellowing, though I dont feed a lot of it.

Last edited: Jul 31, 2010
  3. Elite Silkies

Elite Silkies Overrun With Chickens

Jun 17, 2009
    Oklahoma
    My Coop
    I feed 20% crumbles also with black oil sunflower seeds. I also give them oyster shell on the side. I do not feed cracked corn. I make them oatmeal with peanut butter, alfalfa grass, veggies and fruits.

4. sonew123

sonew123 Poultry Snuggie

Mar 16, 2009
    onchiota NY
    Quote:oooh ohhh I want to be a silkie baby now-Mommy??? [​IMG] peep [​IMG]

5. Elite Silkies

Jun 17, 2009
    Oklahoma
    My Coop

[​IMG] You should have seen them after the flash floods with the mud puddles and watermelon. Oh, my poor whites!!! It's just a nightmare.

Who needs cracked corn, when they can turn themselves a khaki color.

6. sonew123

sonew123 Poultry Snuggie

Mar 16, 2009
    onchiota NY

[​IMG] You should have seen them after the flash floods with the mud puddles and watermelon. Oh, my poor whites!!! It's just a nightmare.

Who needs cracked corn, when they can turn themselves a khaki color.

ewwww..I had a white once and bathed it ONCE-I dont show but boy he was fluffy and wanted to keep him pretty-took an hour to blow dry! [​IMG] NO thanks koodos to all you show folks! [​IMG]

7. Elite Silkies

Jun 17, 2009
    Oklahoma
    My Coop
    It takes forever and a day to blow dry a Silkie! I'm going to wait until I am for sure the rain is over.

8. SilkiesAndSuch

Jan 27, 2010
    Mayo
    Alright thanks everybody [​IMG]

9. Poulets De Cajun

Poulets De Cajun Overrun With Chickens

Here is a feed recipe from a Master Silkie Breeder, and the president of the American Silkie Bantam Club.

http://silkiechickens.com/silkie_feed_mix.htm

We blend our own feed for our adult silkies and feed it year-round. Our chicks are fed a commercial medicated chick starter for the first 2 months, supplemented with grated carrots, hard cooked chopped eggs, greens, and an occasional yogurt-grain mixture when they get a little older.

Our feed blend starts with a 20% protein commercial poultry feed. Since Purina is available in our area, we use Purina Gamebird Layena, which does not contain the marigold oil supplement that can affect white feathers.

In a 5 gallon bucket, fill approximately 3/4 full with base feed and add:

1 cup crimped oats
    1 cup crimped barley
    1 cup wheat
    1/2 cup safflower seeds
    3/4 cup sunflower chips
    1/2 cup flax seeds
    1 scoop Manna Pro Sho-Glo
    1 heaping tablespoon Brewer's Yeast & Garlic Powder

Mix together well, and add:

1/2 cup wheat germ oil blend or vegetable oil
    1/4 cup Red Cell
    Mix together very well to distribute oil and red cell evenly.

The birds also get chopped eggs and grated carrots once a week, greens like kale, collard greens, romaine lettuce as they are available, leftover tomatoes, or any fruit that is starting to go bad. In the summer, they absolutely love watermelon! I cut most of the red part off the rinds and put it in containers for the family, and feed the rinds to the silkies.

Twice a month, we feed a yogurt grain mixture that the birds love and that contains the good gut bacteria necessary for good digestion and health.

Since we have a lot of birds to feed, this is my recipe, but you can adjust it for your number of birds.

1 gallon bucket containing equal amounts of crimped oats, crimped barley and wheat
    1/2 quart plain yogurt (with active cultures)
    1 quart buttermilk

Mix together, add a little water if necessary, and refrigerate overnight. Feed the next morning, after grain has absorbed buttermilk and yogurt.​

10. SilkiesAndSuch

Jan 27, 2010
    Mayo
    wow thats a very nice recipe! if only I had easy access to most of the ingredients.....But it helps me see what sorts of things I should add to the base feed. thank you!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by