Feeding suggestions for 2 guard goslings and 14 chicks 4 weeks of age

Mycrazypets

In the Brooder
Jul 6, 2021
South Dakota
Hi I'm looking for brand and types of food suggestions for my goslings and chicks. (goslings are 3 weeks old arrived late)

I have been feeding them chick starter with 20 percent protein. Not sure if I should change it before 8 weeks of age which is the age on the bag to switch to layer feed. Once I put them in their coop/run setup (hasn't arrived yet) the geese can eat grass but for now I'm not sure if there is anything I should be changing.

I had been feeding them a bag of scratch and peck organic chick starter which I saw geese can also eat but switched to a cheaper organic option after that bag, Nutrena brand I believe. I also feed them treats like seeds, mealworms, grass, and fresh vegetables and herbs. And I give them grit.
Would love feedback and suggestions for food to feed them with the next bag I buy.

Not sure if I should change it before 8 weeks of age which is the age on the bag to switch to layer feed.
Are you sure that is on the bag:confused: Generally layer feed is given when chickens or other fowl start to lay eggs.
I think the Chick starter feed is just fine. When you do run out of it, you may consider an Alflock feed. It contains 2% calcium, and usually 18% protein. It is a good feed. (what I use) You supplement the calcium needs for your layers with cracked oyster shells,,, free-choice,, and recycled egg shells from your egg use. Your chickens and geese will also get a quantity of calcium from the greens they consume. (free-ranging, and veggies)

WISHING YOU BEST,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,and :welcome

Are you sure that is on the bag:confused: Generally layer feed is given when chickens or other fowl start to lay eggs.
I think the Chick starter feed is just fine. When you do run out of it, you may consider an Alflock feed. It contains 2% calcium, and usually 18% protein. It is a good feed. (what I use) You supplement the calcium needs for your layers with cracked oyster shells,,, free-choice,, and recycled egg shells from your egg use. Your chickens and geese will also get a quantity of calcium from the greens they consume. (free-ranging, and veggies)

WISHING YOU BEST,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,and :welcome
Oh yes it says 16 weeks or onset of lay 🤦🏻‍♀️ Ok thanks for the advice!

You can stick with the chick starter, or go to a Flock Raiser/All Flock, then free choice oyster shell on the side. I am NOT a fan of "Layer" feeds, and am unaware of any Layer feed with a nutritional analysis showing it has the extra niacin your goslings need as adults. You should check the Chick Starter, too, see how much niacin is in it. Its not on every label, sadly.

A quick source of Niacin (B-3) is Brewers Yeast, Nutritional Yeast (sometimes, check the label), or of the shelf Niacin in the vitamin aisle. Just be aware that those sources are also typically good sources of Thiamine (B-1), which will render your Amprolium medicated feed (if you use it) worthless.

You can stick with the chick starter, or go to a Flock Raiser/All Flock, then free choice oyster shell on the side. I am NOT a fan of "Layer" feeds, and am unaware of any Layer feed with a nutritional analysis showing it has the extra niacin your goslings need as adults. You should check the Chick Starter, too, see how much niacin is in it. Its not on every label, sadly.

A quick source of Niacin (B-3) is Brewers Yeast, Nutritional Yeast (sometimes, check the label), or of the shelf Niacin in the vitamin aisle. Just be aware that those sources are also typically good sources of Thiamine (B-1), which will render your Amprolium medicated feed (if you use it) worthless.
Yes the scratch and peck chick feed did include niacin but I doubt the cheaper one I switched to contains it. I may go back to that food or an all flock.

Yes the scratch and peck chick feed did include niacin but I doubt the cheaper one I switched to contains it. I may go back to that food or an all flock.
Yes, Scratch & Peck uses a "vitamin pre-mix" in almost all of their feeds - its the powder so many claim their birds don't eat in the whole grain versions of their feeds. Serving it as a fermented or wet mash (oatmeal like consistency) is the usual recommended fix for that issue.

Hi there! 👋 Not sure if you are still looking for suggestions but I'll respond anyway! lol!

We are using Mile Four feed. It's a small company in Minnesota that offers organic feed that is corn/soy free. It is grown there, and milled there weekly so it's very fresh. They offer both whole grain (which we use) as well as pellets now of the same formulas. You can also order in bulk if your flock is huge! I looked at Scratch and Peck (among several other similar brands lol) and ended up choosing Mile Four (we live in Indiana so it was nice to support a midwest company) and we are EXTREMELY happy with it! Our chicks are 5 weeks old and everyone who sees them say they look SO good and a lot bigger than most 5 week old chicks! They are super healthy and so far we haven't had a single health issue.

Soon we'll be transitioning to their Grower feed (8 weeks through until they start laying). Then we'll switch to their Layer feed. Of course we are already offering them grit, and probably just before they start laying we will offer oyster shell as well.

On their website they say their feeds are good for ducks and geese, too! As far as price goes, they are about the same as Scratch and Peck so I am not sure if you are looking for a cheaper brand? Their shipping is free! They also have a 5% off subscribe and save option.

If you had questions about Mile Four, their customer service is awesome. When I have emailed them they get back right away, and are helpful and transparent when asking about ingredients/nutrients! There is also a TON of info on their website which I've found very helpful as a new chicken parent 👍

Best of luck!! 🥰

https://milefour.com/

I have been feeding my gosling and chicks kalmbach 20% flock raiser. It says it can be used for ducks goslings or chick. I also have a bag of mazuri waterfowl starter that I give to my gosling once a day. It floats so I put it in a big pan with water and they just go crazy for makes a nice healthy treat.

Back
Top Bottom