Feeding the chipmunks!

hmruber

Chirping
Aug 1, 2019
Hello from Connecticut! We have had our three girls for a month now. They are our first chickens. Each one has a different personality and they have been very entertaining. I've noticed that chipmunks have been getting into their run and feeder, which is the Eglu Go Up by Omlet. What type of feeder should I get to prevent the chipmunks from eating the feed?

What can we do to tame them? They will eat out of my hand, but squawk when picked up. They are about 8-12 weeks old.

Attachments

• IMG_1556.JPG
    IMG_1556.JPG
    902 KB · Views: 14
Hello and welcome to BYC! :frow Glad you joined.
The vast majority of chickens don't like to be picked up.
They're are treadle style feeders available that require the weight of the chicken to open the feed port. That may help.
I have 26 velociraptors that would destroy and consume any small rodent that dared to eat their food.

Last edited:
I wouldn't encourage chipmunks to hang around. They dug tunnels under our front concrete stoop and they were coming and going all day long and digging elsewhere as well. We had to have the stoop replaced because ours was breaking up and not level anymore. After that we had no more chipmunks. They probably moved on to another
neighbor.

Back
Top Bottom