Feeding the slovenly little pigs

Barry42001

Songster
Jan 14, 2016
Venus, Florida. 33960
I have a flock of about 24 chickens that's going to expand considerably in the upcoming weeks not dealt with chickens before and still haven't found a solution to the question that's been nagging the country. How do you feed the little pigs and they don't waste half of it or better they either foul it or bury it broadcast fed them I have tube feeders in The Henhouse somehow they find a way to dig all the feed out of it I just haven't found a cost-effective way the feed a little pigs where they don't foul or bury half or more the food they get

I use long (3ft) trough feeders, put them up on 4x4 blocks of wood and fixed them to the blocks so they can’t knock them off. Make sure the blocks are wide enough so it doesn’t easily tip sideways (I can take a photo if it’s hard to picture). I put the troughs against the wall with the long side, under their droppings boards. This way they can’t jump on them, poop in them, knock them over... They have a lip and since chickens twnd to sweep their beaks to the side to beak out food and these feeders are wide, they can’t beak anything out - we waist no feed whatsoever!

Zero waste using pellets and this feed station.
Grit, feed, oyster shells.

Feed station 3.JPG

What are you feeding? Are you mixing scratch grains into the feed? Pellet is the least amount of waste if feeding dry. Raise the feeder up to shoulder level. a deep trough helps to eliminate waste. Never leave feed out at night. That can result in rodent issues.

I use fermented feed. No waste. Better feed conversion. There's an article in my signature re: how and why of FF.

I use PVC house gutter. I can't remember how long they come, 10 feet maybe? I cut one in half and put endcaps on each end. Two cinder blocks standing upright and slip it into the top hole.

I use that style feeder but with crumbles...which they promptly dig out
What are you feeding? Are you mixing scratch grains into the feed? Pellet is the least amount of waste if feeding dry. Raise the feeder up to shoulder level. a deep trough helps to eliminate waste. Never leave feed out at night. That can result in rodent issues.

I use fermented feed. No waste. Better feed conversion. There's an article in my signature re: how and why of FF.
crumbles, and a winter sweet feed that looks suspiciously like silage with a little bit of molasses LOL

Back
Top Bottom