Feeding through Molt

Hatching
6 Years
Nov 8, 2013
Hi,
I have a one year old welsummer hen that I believe is starting to molt. She has lost all of her tail feathers, the fluff near her vent is quickly falling off, and her back is very close to bare. I know that they need higher protein feed during molt to help them grow their feathers back. We have 4 chickens, and she is the only one going through molt.

How do I give her the protein feed, and give the others the normal feed? If the others are still laying eggs, can they eat the protein feed even if they do not need it?

It is true that higher protein feed can help hens molt faster, but they will still molt fine without supplemental protein. However, if you're worried about her getting enough protein, there are a few things you can do.

1) You can feed the whole flock a high protein feed, such as gamebird grower feed. That will help the molting hen, and won't harm the other layers. Just make sure that you also provide the flock with free choice oyster shell, or the layers might not get enough calcium to lay sturdy eggs.

2) You can offer a high protein snack to only the molting bird each day. Make sure the others can't come in and gulp down the food instead of her, and she'll get plenty of protein. High protein treats include: wet or dry cat food, a little canned tuna, scrambled or hard-boiled eggs, mealworms, crickets, and other insects.

Back
Top Bottom