Feeding Time

Chicks5006

In the Brooder
Jul 11, 2019
SO my turkeys are now about 16 weeks old. I am finding a hard time finding feed for them at local feed stores. I found one bag of feed for about $20 at feed store where that same bag sells for $54 on Amazon. Any reasonable recommendations that won't break the bank? The feed I found before I can no longer get, I bough tall 3 bags and they don't sell it any more. It was Purina Animal Nutrition Gamebird Starter. I am thinking I need to switch them over to a new feed since they are 16/17 weeks old now.

At 16 weeks old a good all flock feed is all that is needed. I feed mine starter(30% protein) for 8 weeks then grower finisher (22% protein) for next 8 weeks then move them to an 18% all flock feed. I do not do the non gmo feeds or anything name brand. I get my feed from MFA a midwest company.

Also, just because a food is no longer on the shelves, doesn't mean you can't get it. If it's TSC, you can often order online to pick up in store. Or for a local mom/pop feed store, you can just tell them you need something for your turkeys or other gamebirds, and they may order it for you or resume carrying it.

Also, just because a food is no longer on the shelves, doesn't mean you can't get it. If it's TSC, you can often order online to pick up in store. Or for a local mom/pop feed store, you can just tell them you need something for your turkeys or other gamebirds, and they may order it for you or resume carrying it.

Well that's what it was I found it at TSC for an awesome deal but it was a pick up from that store only. I can't order it online. I found a good deal on it out of state but shipping costs are more than the feed itself. I will talk to them see what they say at TSC.

At 16 weeks old a good all flock feed is all that is needed. I feed mine starter(30% protein) for 8 weeks then grower finisher (22% protein) for next 8 weeks then move them to an 18% all flock feed. I do not do the non gmo feeds or anything name brand. I get my feed from MFA a midwest company.

I've had them on a 30% but trying now to see what i need to go to (why i asked for advice) They are not being raised for meat, they are pets. The 18% all flock is an all around bird feed? I have chicks on their own food but I have two chickens the same age as the turkeys. They have been on the same feed, is that ok for the bigger chickens?

What are thoughts and opinions on pellets vs crumbles?

My big chickens Lucy and Ethel aren't laying yet but will I have to buy " food layer" or can I keep them on the all flock?

Last edited:
I've had them on a 30% but trying now to see what i need to go to (why i asked for advice) They are not being raised for meat, they are pets. The 18% all flock is an all around bird feed? I have chicks on their own food but I have two chickens the same age as the turkeys. They have been on the same feed, is that ok for the bigger chickens?
All Flock or Flock Raiser is fine for all poultry but does require supplemental oyster shell when hens are laying.
What are thoughts and opinions on pellets vs crumbles?

My big chickens Lucy and Ethel aren't laying yet but will I have to buy " food layer" or can I keep them on the all flock?
You can keep them on the All Flock as long as you provide supplemental oyster shell.

Pellets versus crumbles is a personal choice. I prefer pellets because I seem to get less waste when feeding pellets.
Is the oyster shell ok for the Turkeys?
Free choice oyster shell is fine for any poultry or waterfowl when the hens are laying.

Back
Top Bottom