Feeding turkeys and chickens together

I'm new to turkeys...but I didn't think you could house chickens and turkeys together because of blackhead? I've read where ppl have kept them together without any problem, so, I'm confused!
idunno.gif
We just got an auburn hen & tom and a silver hen, heritage breed. We built a new pen just for them about a week before we were suppose to pick them up. They were 9 months already, he just told us to feed them laying pellets with a little more protein %. We have had them for just over a month now and they seem to be doing great. Believe it or not, I have some bannie hens that are broody so we shoved some of the first turkey eggs up under them...I really didn't think we were going to have any successful hatchings because I've never seen my tom top the hens! I'm happy to announce that we hatched our first poult today!! Yea!! So what do we feed them? Can you feed the poults chick starter?? I get so many different answers from ppl??

Turkeys chicks should be fed a high protein diet. Usually game bird feed. I have used chickens hens to hatch my turkeys with no problem. This way everybody gets along. I free range both my turkeys and chickens and it works.

Turkeys chicks should be fed a high protein diet. Usually game bird feed. I have used chickens hens to hatch my turkeys with no problem. This way everybody gets along. I free range both my turkeys and chickens and it works.

Thanks! I'm feeding the right stuff, although he/she hasn't eaten much today...but he/she sure can get around really well! We've never hatched any other eggs under our chickens, so this new little guy we have was exciting for the whole family! I took him/her away from my hen as soon as noticed he/she was out, and brought him/her inside and put under heat lamp. I was worried about the blackhead! My poor hubby, we just moved 30 chicks outside yesterday and bleached out the brooders (several glass aquariums...they work GREAT!). Just got the room back to normal...not to mention, odor free...and had to bring one of the aquariums right back in today. I had hubby bring in the 200 gallon tank because I have about 12 more turkey eggs under my hens! Having not raised turkeys from poults, I wasn't sure how fast they would grow! I'm hopeful for some more successful hatchings...but I'm not holding my breath...

Right now I have two hens with four turkeys poults and four chicken babies each. I also have turkeys with babies also. I think the chickens are better mama's than the turkeys. That's JMO. I prefer the chickens to raise the turkeys.

Back
Top Bottom