Feeding Turkeys Wheat Only

MrDankYT

Songster
6 Years
Feb 11, 2017
I was thinking about giving my flock of 13 turkeys only wheat for their main food, to cut costs as it only costs around 15 cents/lb, keep in mind they wouldn't only eat the wheat since i let my turkeys out almost everyday I can and they forage for whatever they can find all year around, and in summer they gorge on the fruit we have, when i butchered one last year i checked what was inside its stomach and it was mainly pears and grass mixed with a bit of the ground up pellets i serve them as their main food currently, so should they be fine with only being served wheat as their main food? (yes they have access to grit)

I'm thinking protein would be the only/main problem but they can probably forage for insects.

Last edited:
Of course and i was planning on adding supplements, as i said it will be their MAIN food, i know that wheat alone wouldn't provide enough vitamins, protein and such and that's why i said MAIN food, what do turkeys eat in the wild? They eat a wide variety of grain, fruit, berries, weeds and other stuff they forage for, and because mine already have access to all of that except the grain, which is what i'll add in then i think they should be fine. As i said they have access to grit while foraging and in bowls, and calcium they get from the snailshells i give them. Our apples and fruits last all winter surprisingly and we give them to the turkeys and chickens everyday in winter. Maybe you were thinking that wheat was the only food they would get. They should be fine with this right?

Back
Top Bottom