Feeding Whole Grain?? (recipe inside but can they eat it all?)

Ekagj

In the Brooder
7 Years
Jan 2, 2013
So I'm wanting to feed whole grain but wondering if all of these things are ok for the chickens to eat??

Garden Betty’s Homemade Whole Grain Chicken Feed
Makes 8 1/2 pounds (fills 10-pound feeder)
4 cups oat groats
4 cups black oil sunflower seeds
4 cups hard red wheat berries
2 cups soft white wheat berries
2 cups kamut
2 cups millet
2 cups whole corn
1 cup lentils
1 cup sesame seeds
1 cup flax seeds
1/2 cup brewer’s yeast
1/4 cup kelp granules
free-choice oyster shells
free-choice grit

Read more: http://www.gardenbetty.com/2012/06/garden-bettys-homemade-whole-grain-chicken-feed/#ixzz2RQUbf8G7

i'm questioning:
the lentils. they are raw beans and i don't think they are good for chickens?
the whole corn. shouldn't it be cracked and not that much?
brewer's yeast?? really?? why?

Anyone have any thoughts are any thoughts on this recipe? No matter what I'm gonna avoid the lentils and the whole corn (cracked yes), but that brewer's yeast?

another question is would you add anything or take anything out of this??

The yeast feeds the bacteria flora that digests the feed. I am not familiar with kamut but the problem I have is the chickens will pick out their favorites and leave a bunch. They will bill out what they don't want digging for the "candy". Mine won't touch flaxseed and millet. If you pull out the lentils, you should add back some high protein substitute. It doesn't look like you want soybeans in the diet so I'd add more flax, sunflower or alfalfa fines to make up for it. I like the alfalfa because it also has a high Ca content and adds some greens.

ok awesome! thanks guys! my girls love flaxseed! i'm going to try this with my new batch of chicks hatching (when they get to age they can eat this stuff). if the lentils are 100% ok for them I will feed them :)

Back
Top Bottom