Feeding worms from compost pile

Discussion in 'Pheasants and Partridge (Chukar)' started by drowe005, Dec 11, 2012.

1. drowe005

drowe005 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 20, 2012
    Corapeake NC
    I've been looking for worms in my yard for a while now to feed the birds, but havent found any yet. I do have a a few hundred earthworms and red wigglers in a compost pile, but havent ever gave them any not knowing if it would be OK or not. The compost pile is 95% rabbit poop, thats why I was hesitant.

Any opinions on whether this would be OK to get worms out that pile to feed to them?

2. Chicken Goddess

Chicken Goddess Chillin' With My Peeps

possibly NOT. The chickens might get sick. and be careful about getting worms from the ground. they could catch a respiratory worm and you dont want that.

3. Cyclingchix

Cyclingchix Out Of The Brooder

Sep 28, 2012
    Northern California

Interesting? Don't chickens eat worms, bugs, and all sorts of stuff when they free range? Which is suppose to be good thing.

4. ChickensAreSweet

ChickensAreSweet Heavenly Grains for Hens

5. Ashburnham

Ashburnham Chillin' With My Peeps

What nonsense! My chickens have been scratching up worms and other bugs and eating them for 40 years with no problems!
    It's what chooks do all day - scratch up the earth and eat what they find.

1 person likes this.
  6. De Wet

De Wet Chillin' With My Peeps

eartworms is the carrier of the dangerous parasite which cause blackhead which is dangerous for turkeys. A chicken can be a carier and still be healthy when a turkey get along he will get sick....

7. ChickensAreSweet

http://edis.ifas.ufl.edu/pdffiles/VM/VM01500.pdf
    see pg. 2, number 6 if interested in Univ. of Florida's recommendations about earthworms

8. ChickensAreSweet

9. destinduck

destinduck obsessed with "ducks"

Mar 20, 2008
    n.w.FLORIDA
    I side on the dont do it

10. mississippifarmboy

mississippifarmboy collects slightly damaged strays

Our chickens, ducks, geese, turkeys, guineas, and other birds have been scratching worms out of the compost pile and from under the rabbit coops for over 50 years and also eating the poo and never had a sick bird.

Maybe I'm just lucky. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by