Feeding your flock amidst of feed shortages

Pics
More on the subject of feed shortages. Today I went to my local town independent feed store. They had layer ration, and oyster shell! Lots of cracked, rolled and whole grains too. I bought some more whole grain because it stores better and some more cracked wheat and cracked corn to go with all the protein supplement I bought yesterday. Now I won’t need to buy layer ration at all for 1 to 2 years. And I got oyster shell too because I think it beats limestone as the best calcium source and I want it in my garden too. I am big on trace minerals in my diet.
My local feed store has fewer customers than the city chain and prices are higher too. High prices mean more stable supply when the cheap stuff gets bought up.

More on the subject of feed shortages. Today I went to my local town independent feed store. They had layer ration, and oyster shell! Lots of cracked, rolled and whole grains too. I bought some more whole grain because it stores better and some more cracked wheat and cracked corn to go with all the protein supplement I bought yesterday. Now I won’t need to buy layer ration at all for 1 to 2 years. And I got oyster shell too because I think it beats limestone as the best calcium source and I want it in my garden too. I am big on trace minerals in my diet.
My local feed store has fewer customers than the city chain and prices are higher too. High prices mean more stable supply when the cheap stuff gets bought up.
Nice job grabbing enough 😎 gotta feed the masses

I haven’t read through the whole thread so just judging on the title of this I’m going to say I basically totally free range my flock with the exception of a little bit of corn and oats every now and then I don’t have to free range them but I do and they look great they catch enough bugs to be fat and sassy and beautiful and supply me with Tasty eggs! the grasshopper supply is plentiful here and in the event that feed was a absolute commodity and need I would just save some for winter when the grasshoppers are a little bit more scarce but I only feed my young chicks that are too young to catch the grasshoppers but they are also turned out at a young age to learn and under supervision of course but this is just what I do and if push comes to shove then I’m sure something would be figured out and also they get the feed that my cows or horses would spill

Preparation and proper storage of any and all goods for future use = self sufficiency.
Preparation and storage is also NOT hoarding if you make purchases over time and from more than one source. If you are always using your food, and saving money as prices rise and food is not spoiling then it’s just keeping a pantry.

Preparation and storage is also NOT hoarding if you make purchases over time and from more than one source. If you are always using your food, and saving money as prices rise and food is not spoiling then it’s just keeping a pantry.
I agree. Our grandparents and great grandparents never would have survived the Great Depression if they weren’t storing food/water/goods otherwise and we wouldn’t exist.*

Last edited by a moderator:
What should we switch to feeding the flock if shortages become even worst and there isn't any feed in your feed store? Mine are almost 3 month old but am thinking forward. Obviously, feeding what we have as leftovers. What did people feed their chickens back in the great depression?
You should start breeding worms to feed them, its quite easy and cheap! I also feed mine kitchen leftovers and they graze. I live in a tropical climate so they can be outside all year, lots of bugs in the winter / rainy season. If you have space you can grow some vegetables or corn to feed them.

What should we switch to feeding the flock if shortages become even worst and there isn't any feed in your feed store? Mine are almost 3 month old but am thinking forward. Obviously, feeding what we have as leftovers. What did people feed their chickens back in the great depression?

Where did my reply go?
All of the farmers i knew as a child did not purchase feed for their chickens, especially during the depression era. Both my grandparents had flocks ranging from a fe dozen to a couple hundred. Other than the table scraps and waste from processing the garden crops all they got was free range. Of course these were all rural farmers. Though i am not , i am blessed to have access several acres of pasture and woodlots. I am assuming if it gets that bad, i will be spending much more time at home so the kids will be free ranging much more and i will be at least tripling my garden space. And making it available to the flock more.

Back
Top Bottom