Feeding your flock amidst of feed shortages

Pics
Yea it's crazy how many people are giving into this global technocracy communism.. going on. With the fake pandemic and someone here mentioned hey eat bugs ect.. agenda 20/30 depopulation program in full swing.. that's why I went I off grid, an started prepping.. but there gonna try kill of as many as they can most people a willfully ready to lay down an die already though through mass compliance. You can't comply your way out of tyranny folks.. it's hectic and unbelievable it's biblical what's going on.
I agree, the worlds going bonkers over a bloody flu virus. Fake plandemic indeed. More people should be worried about poor diet, stress, heart disease, obesity, alcohol addiction and prescription drug addiction than a flu virus that most people survive anyways.

For as long as there have been intersections, there has been a prophet on the corner of one proclaiming loudly that "the End is Near". Occasionally, they are right. Mostly not. Human history teaches two things in broad strokes.

1) Man will adapt to previously unimaginable conditions, and eventually thrive there.
2) In spite of all efforts, as a species we are complete failures in our efforts to eliminate one another - as we have been attempting for at least 5,000 years

Now, politics aside, can we get back to how best to sustainably raise chickens using materials and systems we can build ourselves and put to use on relatively small parcels of land with limited external support, during periods of shortage and scarcity (for whatever reason)?

I'm reading here solely with an eye towards what methods I might impliment on my own acres to either reduce my input costs, reduce my maintenance spend, or reduce my time invested which do not rely on just-in-time inventory systems and 21st century technology or logistics. If that is no longer the purpose of this thread, I'll step off.

Now, politics aside, can we get back to how best to sustainably raise chickens using materials and systems we can build ourselves and put to use on relatively small parcels of land with limited external support, during periods of shortage and scarcity (for whatever reason)?

I'm reading here solely with an eye towards what methods I might impliment on my own acres to either reduce my input costs, reduce my maintenance spend, or reduce my time invested which do not rely on just-in-time inventory systems and 21st century technology or logistics. If that is no longer the purpose of this thread, I'll step off.

^This. It needs to be restated. This is not a political thread. I would venture a guess that not a single person in this thread will have a significant impact in the current macroeconomic and political directions. That is entirely outside of your circle of control and venting your spleen here does not help anyone. TAKE IT ELSEWHERE.

This thread is to address possible problems in the future and what practical things we can do to handle them in regards to our chickens. Please keep it on topic and discuss what you are currently seeing in the market, what preps you've already made and what you are thinking about doing in the future.

Thanks.

I was turning some compost today, and despite it being late October in the northeast, I was happy to see that some of the whole corn I’ve been tossing onto the pile to help motivate the flock to scratch had sprouted.

As I was uncovering sprouted corn and worms, the flock was happily jumping in and snacking.

So…”low effort sprouting” can maybe be part of the toolkit.

^This. This is not ...This thread is ...Please keep it on topic...
My understanding is that the OP gets to decide what the thread is, what the topic is, what drifts are acceptable.

Adding your political input ("that is entirely outside your circle of control"), while telling the rest of us to shut up (with shouts, even) is a bit provoking.

My 2 cents worth is that I prefer how to feed chickens.

I was turning some compost today, and despite it being late October in the northeast, I was happy to see that some of the whole corn I’ve been tossing onto the pile to help motivate the flock to scratch had sprouted.

As I was uncovering sprouted corn and worms, the flock was happily jumping in and snacking.

So…”low effort sprouting” can maybe be part of the toolkit.
That has a place. A better place if you have an abundance of seed and no other use for it. Something like radishes would extend the season for us in the north.

That has a place. A better place if you have an abundance of seed and no other use for it. Something like radishes would extend the season for us in the north.
Radishes are also good for breaking ground, without breaking your back - particularly if the upper inches of your soil are clay, layered on some less concrete-like substance.

Also, I hate radishes. and my chickens rarely express interest. But the soil where they were planted last year is more useful this year.

Another relatively low input option for some is a root cellar. Well, low input option once it is built, anyway. My family didn't have one but I remember fully stocked root cellars at some of neighbors and a little about the nuances - bury carrots in damp sand, keep the apples in a different room than the onions, ect.

I wish I could make a root cellar but South Louisiana weather & water table don't allow it. I have onions curing in the spare bathroom bathtub...
I have a dead refrigerator that I am trying to turn toward grain storage but trying to rodent proof it is being a pain. I will probably store bagged feed in it.

Back
Top Bottom