Feeding your flock during cold winters

I've purchased a square cooler and horizontal / side-mounted poultry nipples (less prone to freezing). This way I can add really warm water in it that won't freeze over night and the nipples shouldn't either.....plus, less mess in the coop on extremely cold days :)
@Texas Transplant Do these have the extensions that will accommodate the thick wall of the cooler?

I highly suggest putting your hands on your birds more often during the winter. I check keel bones and for full crops each night, and for empty crops each morning.
They can drop weight quickly at the best of times, so you want to catch any issues ASAP.

In general I'm more concerned about my birds during a heat wave than during a cold snap. I'm in Ontario and we usually hit at least -30f to -40f at least once during the winter. I don't heat my coop. I have a heated dog bowl for water and a light that comes on at 6:30am so that I have time to see them up and moving around before I leave for work. I don't care if they lay through the winter, happy and healthy is the important part for me.

I leave dry (either layer or all flock depending on the year) feed out all day for them. When I leave for work I put two small containers of their feed with some warm water added, they think it's a treat.

Since they don't get the same opportunities to forage in the winter I try to offer some variety and entertainment. I grow sprouts for them in the winter, I'm in the midst of trying to start a mealworm colony, and every few weeks I'll make a flock block and hang it for them.

Also, I wouldn't be at all surprised if your pullets begin laying when they normally would, despite the short days and cold weather. Pullets don't care about that stuff! ;) Hens in their 2nd year need supplemental light though. Good luck! Us northerners deal with lots of challenges in the winter.
[/QUOTE]
I was really expecting to not get many eggs before winter sets in, so this is quite pleasing to know

Back
Top Bottom