Feeding Zucchini

MandalaMaMa

Songster
6 Years
Jul 9, 2013
southern Oregon coast
Look what just show up today. Our good friends have been keeping the girls supplied with over sized Zucchini this summer. I just splitting them opened and cutting them into 4 pieces. I give it to them first thing in the morning and it's gone by lunch time. We have 20 chickens - 12 that are 2 1/2 months old. I made zucchini bread for the first time the other day and it's already gone. Can't do that very often -- it's too yuumy. My hubby and I couldn't leave it alone. Is anyone else feeding zucchini this summer.

Out hens love them to!
Are your hens locked up? Or are they free range? You could slow down on there purchased food a little bit if they are eating that much zucinni

Out hens love them to!
Are your hens locked up? Or are they free range? You could slow down on there purchased food a little bit if they are eating that much zucinni

The girls get to free range all day when we are home working, in a paddock that we just built. (The joy of working at home) This picture is of some REALLY large zuc that our friends just brought us. The one's I've been feeding them are 1/2 this size and they only get one a day. They also get fermented food twice a day. I just wanted to share and see if anyone else was feeding their chickens zucchini this summer.

My girls get zucchini. I hang it with string in their run and they peck at it. You can grate your zucchini and freeze it so you can make the bread in the winter, or bake it now and freeze it
1f60d.png

I just picked a zucchini from my garden and I was carrying it around picking other vegetables. I leaned down with it still in my hand and the next thing I knew one of my hens flew over and jumped on it and pecking away.

Thanks everyone for the comments. Glad I'm not the only one giving my girls zucchini this summer. I did just make some zucchini bread today and frozen some for future breads.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom