Feeding

worms7

Songster
May 22, 2015
england
Please excuse me if this sounds daft but if i get a breed of chicken that takes a break during winter should i still feed layers pellets all winter
Cheers Phil

Many folks switch their flock to multi-flock during non laying times. I don't climb on that band wagon for my own reasons. The one thing I do agree on is that young chicks are best to not be given Layer. IMO, multi-flock is a superior feed to layer, but my pocketbook enters the equation.

I'm in a very temperate climate so my birds rarely take a break for too long. I do have a breed that only lays about 20 eggs a year that I keep separate from the rest. I do not give these birds open feed or do i feed them only lays pellets. A high quality scratch with a few high quality lay pellets and a little drizzle of kicking chicken and they have never been happier or healthier and it ends up being around the same price because scratch is cheaper

You could do something similar for your non laying birds. Unrestricted lay pellets should only be given to those birds laying a lot of eggs or about to start so that they can meet the high caloric needs of producing an egg every other day. fat chickens are lazy and don't produce well

Everyone has their own opinion on what is best for their birds and very few are wrong. take all the knowledge you can from anyone willing to give it and do what feels right to you. If you feed limited pellets just make sure you feed a good scratch not just corn.

Back
Top Bottom