Feeding

Hi @U_Stormcrow

Sorry for sounding stupid, but what does the "#" after the number represent?

Pound. Its a common abbreviation here in the US, and a fine question. Sorry, had I noticed you were in France, I'd have given you the "thumb rule" as 100-110g/bird/day. Somewhere on the order of 16kg a week for your flock is a good starting point in expectations.

Apologies for overlooking your location data.

Pound. Its a common abbreviation here in the US, and a fine question. Sorry, had I noticed you were in France, I'd have given you the "thumb rule" as 100-110g/bird/day. Somewhere on the order of 16kg a week for your flock is a good starting point in expectations.

No problems there! Just happy to know what it meant. Thank you! :)

In fact, I'm originally from the UK, and learned the imperial and metric systems together, but never came across # before. Thanks again!

In fact, I'm originally from the UK, and learned the imperial and metric systems together, but never came across # before. Thanks again!
Happy to be of service. Good luck with your flock!

and is AI finally becoming manageable there on the Continent??? You all have been dealing with the recent outbreak longer than we have here in the States.

Thanks, I'll need it. New Hampshire Reds, Barbezieux and Belgian Malines!

Had plans of creating a 'master race', but now not quite sure who's holding the reins! :idunno
Sadly, BYC is littered with threads marking abandoned "breed" projects. Do what you enjoy, the EU already has a number of established breeds well suited to your climates, just as the northern US does. I have a project (a culling project) of my own, here in the SE US, but I'm not looking to make a breed. Maybe a local landrace, nothing fancier than that. I'm a few years away from target, and a few more years (I'm guessing) before I get consistent off spring, most of the time.

@U_Stormcrow I did not realize that those highlighted portions were links. I appreciate that - just didn't need the side of condescension that came with your previous comment. The abstracts you provided don't discuss fermentation specifically, but sure, I understand what you're getting at regarding the volume of the food, etc... so adding water to the feed isn't helpful. Noted. I wasn't defending the author of the blog I linked, I believe she does her best to cite sources in all of her writings and I respect that. Since I'm obviously no expert, I turn to others who attempt to use evidence-based practices. I don't blindly follow chicken bloggers because they have a "slick website", I research as much as possible on my own and I look for confirmation from those who have been raising chickens for decades AND use research to back up their claims the best they can.

I'm happy to be a part of BYC, but I'm not here for the debates and the *who's smarter olympics* - you know the saying "opinions are like a-holes, everyone has one and they all smell like 💩". I'll happily go back to "lurking" and stay out of the comments. My anxiety is bad enough without having to fight for my life in a damn chicken feed thread. ✌️

Oh, and I didn't link support for my contention that improved feed efficiency claims associated with FF likely has a mechanical cause, rather than relating to increased nutritional availability.

Here's a few of the things I've read which appear to either support my belief, or found no differences between wet feed and fermented (and sometimes even dry!).

Wet Feed Broilers vs Dry, w/ & w/o seperate water

Dry Wet and Fermented (found no differences in feed conversion)

Wet Feed and (brief) Feed Restrictions vs Dry, Ad libitum

Wet Dry Wheat and Mill Size (SMALL SAMPLE SIZE, warning!)

Wet/Dry feed and Hot Climates

Back
Top Bottom