Feeding

From the article:

Does fermenting save money?​

"It certainly can. Adding liquid to feed increases its volume, so chickens will need less of it to fill their stomachs.

But more importantly, because fermented food is more easily and efficiently absorbed, chickens need less of it - some articles(1) claim as much as 20% less - to have the same, or a more, beneficial effect.

And, of course, because it's more solid than grain, it's not as easily kicked out of feeders. "

@U_Stormcrow I was only offering a suggestion to the OP based on what I've read and watched from others far more experienced than I. It was an attempt to be helpful using a reputable source to back it up. I'm not trying to ruffle any feathers (pun intended), I've seen SO much on how fermented feed helps to cut costs, so when I read the OP, it was the first thing I thought of (because I've done literally hundreds of hours of research in a very short period of time - probably TOO much research). I'm new to this group, but it seems that literally EVERY topic on raising chickens is more hotly debated than U.S. politics. I'm not here for that. I was only trying to be helpful.
It would be more interesting to me if you offered suggestions based on your experience rather than based on what you’ve read.

It would be more interesting to me if you offered suggestions based on your experience rather than based on what you’ve read.
Thank you for the feedback - I'll keep that in mind. I don't have experience with fermented feed (I had read from and watched multiple people who've touted its benefits/cost-savings potential), so I attempted to offer (what I believed to be) helpful information on what I've read/watched about it. That was obviously a mistake I won't be repeating. 🙃

I've read that fermenting feed can reduce feed costs because the chickens' bodies use it more efficiently and the added water causes the food to expand. It's also good for the chickens' overall health. :)

https://www.raising-happy-chickens.com/fermentation.html
I have been doing fermented feed for my 5 GLW hens for about a month now. I fix a batch of 1/4 cup per hen in water for a couple of days before offering in the AM, and again before roost. This practice is two fold. They do love it and its benefits that I have read about. Also, the fermented feed sessions quickly allow me to access normal behavior; as they all should come eat it. I only have 5 hens tho so this works for me. Good luck! 🐓❤️

Fermented feed makes certain vitamins more bioavailable. If your feed already contains an adequate amount of those vitamins, fermenting makes no difference. Fermented feed is also heavily dependent on WHAT you are fermenting, and WHICH bacteria is doing the work.

Studies that show no effect generally don't get published.

I get the "savings" generally attributed to fermented feed simply by feeding wet mash. Its the same savings you get from feeding pellet instead of crumble - a greater ability for the birds to find and consume spilled feed before it "disappears" into the soil. Its something less than 10%, but greater than 2-3%.
I was waiting for your input on this Storm. I already knew you fermented and I thank you for your experience and knowledge. 👍🏻

I was waiting for your input on this Storm. I already knew you fermented and I thank you for your experience and knowledge. 👍🏻
I think he does wet mash as opposed to fermented feed, that basically means when he feeds his birds he gets it wet but doesn't store it over several days and allow it to ferment.

I was recommended to use fermented feed before, did it for about two months and realised it made almost no difference to the speed at which we finished a bag of feed (it was about 4 days difference.) I didn't have the largest flock at the time (approx 40-50 birds), but the differences between weights of FF quails and dry-fed quails was anywhere from 10g to 40g... That's a lot for quail haha

I was also recommended to use fermented feed on the quail chicks.. great idea that was, they all died. I am assuming it's to do with either not being able to process wet feed like that properly or not being able to deal with the bacteria that is introduced upon fermenting. I do not know if this is the reason for sure though, I struggled to find much information.

With quail, I have had much less waste (very nearly zero waste) from using chicken layer pellets in hanging feeders.

Yes, I wet mash, and obtain almost all the benefits associated with FF, simply by getting things wet for a while. FF does have limited benefits, they simply aren't applicable to most of our situations, and aren't nearly so magical is its most devout proponents claim. Even w/o trying it ourseleves, our hint that this might be so comes from the commercial side of the business. If it did save a lot of money, allowing one to radically reduce feed amounts, commercial poultry ops would be doing it to raise broilers and maintain layers more efficiently - its an extremely low margin business, even a 10% reduction in feed needs would double or triple their profits.

I also tried FF for months and then stopped - I don't see obvious benefits. Most of my chickens are stronger creatures than me, so I decided to save the efforts and give them something else. Kimchi is marvelous, and I love it, but even super Kimchi is still Kimchi.

Besides the suggested amount of food, I offered them a lot of homegrown goodies as compensation that I couldn't let them freely destroy my garden.

So far, besides their feed, they ate almost everything - all kinds of weeds safe for chickens, all sorts of veggies, berries, comfrey, marigolds, Dahlias, sunflowers, etc. - they are happy about their commercial feed, and they are more pleased to see and eat whatever doesn't look like commercial feed.

For me, FF is like a kind of eating style for human beings - if you believe it works, then go for it.

Back
Top Bottom