Feeding

baxtersbeauties

In the Brooder
11 Years
Aug 4, 2008
Stoneville NC
I am new to raising chickens and I need some help.
hmm.png
When it comes to feeding, should I fill the feeder and just let them eat however much they want or should I restrict the amount of food they eat each day by only filling the feeder a part of the way? I have 15 hens. They are all 9 weeks old. Thanks in advance!!!

I just fill mine up and let them chow down
smile.png
As long as you keep your hens busy, they won't eat too much.
The only problems we've ever had with overeating is boredom. When we lock our babies up too long they eat like horses
tongue.png
When they free range, they're too busy foraging to want to eat.

The problem I have noticed with filling the feeders is the amount they waste. Good Lord peep-le get outta the feeder!!

I have been using the 18" red plastic feeder with all the little holes on the removable lid which I bought at TSC. I took the removable lid off when their heads got so big and they hop in...hop out and knock it all over the place.

I am going to get a hanging feeder to put in the coop with them, but for now I am filling it several times a day with only enough for them to eat before they get bored and start slam dancing each other.

Im not sure if this is the best thing to do but I put some food on the ground in the pen for them to scratch around for and then also leave containers of the same food in the coop for them. I want them to have plenty to eat and not be hungry. They rarely eat the food from the containers but this way I know they never run out.

Mine are so very wasteful when I just fill it up. But I still do... and I also give them some on the ground in their run. They love that.

Mine are filled 24/7 and to the top, one thing I notice is they waste less with the long feeder with all the holes in the top than they did with the round feeder... I'm not sure why, bu they just don't waste as much!

Back
Top Bottom