Feeds affecting laying?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Pics
Well, it sounds like you are accusing a lot of people of crying wolf. I have goats so it was nothing to experiment for a day just to see if there was a change by switching feed for a day. The week before not getting more than 10 eggs and lowest 6. To overnight getting 19-28 this past week.. weather was same, daylight abt the same, nothing out of ordinary. I don’t know what’s going on but there is definitely something going on. Now, I don’t want to go back to the chicken feed. If switching to goat feed and I got the same amount of eggs or maybe one or 2 extra I would say that there probably isn’t an issue but that wasn’t the case and isn’t the case with most that are posting about it.
I don't think switching feed could influence their laying overnight, though. Maybe I'm reading your post incorrectly. How long did you try goat feed before seeing the increase?

And, for the record, my girls are laying like champs. I feed TSC brand feeds.

@Sherry68lynn
The quotes are a bit messed up, but I think this is an account of your own experiences?
"I don’t think “spreading” a concern is a bad thing...We went from getting 6 to 8 eggs to the last week getting 19- 28 eggs a day with 70 laying chickens that are all 1 to 2 years old except for about 4 of them being 3 years old. We have had chickens for about 10 years now and had a catastrophe 4 years ago with Fox wiping out our smaller flock within about 20mins. So, given that the only difference is the feed, leaves me concerned about the feed. It’s not the first time it’s happened with these commercial feed manufacturers. There are recalls on dog and cat food all the time. You would be very naive to think it couldn’t happen with chicken feed or any other feed for that matter."

Do you still have any of the feed that caused the trouble?
@Aunt Angus is offering to pay for analysis of a feed sample, to try to figure out what factors are involved.

But she's having trouble finding anyone who still has any of the feed (some people kept feeding it until the bag was empty, and some changed immediately but threw out the old feed.)

https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/im-sending-feed-to-be-analyzed.1561749/
This thread is where she's especially asking for anyone to provide a sample.
I actually still have the feed and will check this link out. We can’t go get new feed till this weekend when we will have to get rid of it to make room for new.

I have goats so it was nothing to experiment for a day just to see if there was a change by switching feed for a day. The week before not getting more than 10 eggs and lowest 6. To overnight getting 19-28 this past week.. weather was same, daylight abt the same,
No feed change is going to make that kind of change overnight sorry that just don't happen. And for the daylight it has been changing over to longer daylight for over a month it never changes overnight either. It's your chickens just keep feeding them goat feed its only your chickens that will suffer in the long run that won't happen overnight either.

I don't think switching feed could influence their laying overnight, though. Maybe I'm reading your post incorrectly. How long did you try goat feed before seeing the increase?

And, for the record, my girls are laying like champs. I feed TSC brand feeds.
I fed them the goat feed, that same day didn’t see a difference. The next day, I saw the 11 egg difference.

I fed them the goat feed, that same day didn’t see a difference. The next day, I saw the 11 egg difference.
It takes 25 hours for eggs to develop, and longer than that for the nutrients in any feed to be metabolized. Are you sure the feed is the only thing that changed? Weather? Anything? I'm fairly certain that wouldn't change that quickly.

No feed change is going to make that kind of change overnight sorry that just don't happen. And for the daylight it has been changing over to longer daylight for over a month it never changes overnight either. It's your chickens just keep feeding them goat feed its only your chickens that will suffer in the long run that won't happen overnight either.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom