Feeds affecting laying?

Status
Not open for further replies.
So I have 15 laying hens, and 6 laying ducks and I feed Purina layena and I’ve been mixing in country spirit layer crumbles due to feed prices. But I’ve noticed, egg production has dropped from around 12-15 eggs a day, to about 2 duck eggs, and usually only 1-2 chicken eggs. There was a miracle yesterday and I got three chicken eggs. I had originally thought it was just because of winter, but now I’m beginning to think otherwise. Recently I’ve been hearing about feed being the reason for loss of egg production, and sone things about high soy content in chicken feed. I’ve also heard some rumors about deficiencies which can be “cured” by mixing in rice and pinto beans well cooked into feed if someone chooses to feed the brands which are deficient. I’m slightly skeptical about trying these things, and although I want to change feeds asap, I have just over 200 pounds of the old stuff. What are your thoughts on these events? What feed do you get? How many eggs are you getting each day? I have customers who rely on me for eggs and so I’m struggling with this. Any thoughts appreciated.
I didn’t even realize this feed stuff was going on until a few other people I know started talking about it a week or so ago. I have always used dumor and producers pride. I have 36 laying hens. I went weeks with no eggs and no more than 1-2 eggs a week around Christmas. Once made aware a friend of mine was using a local feed mill that makes on site and getting 4 eggs a day from 6 hens. I made the switch and I’m 2 weeks into getting 6-10 eggs a day. An extra 2 minutes a day in light didn’t change production that fast. It also can’t explain why others they used a local mill had no issues.

I didn’t even realize this feed stuff was going on until a few other people I know started talking about it a week or so ago. I have always used dumor and producers pride. I have 36 laying hens. I went weeks with no eggs and no more than 1-2 eggs a week around Christmas. Once made aware a friend of mine was using a local feed mill that makes on site and getting 4 eggs a day from 6 hens. I made the switch and I’m 2 weeks into getting 6-10 eggs a day. An extra 2 minutes a day in light didn’t change production that fast. It also can’t explain why others they used a local mill had no issues.
Is the feed higher protein? I'm always surprised how fast my chickens ramp up right after the winter solstice. This stuff is out of hand. Has anyone ever approached Purina or TSC & what was their take or do we just keep theorizing that the feed is the problem?

Is the feed higher protein? I'm always surprised how fast my chickens ramp up right after the winter solstice. This stuff is out of hand. Has anyone ever approached Purina or TSC & what was their take or do we just keep theorizing that the feed is the problem?
They claim the protein was the same amount 16%… that seems to be the conspiracy theory is the protein amount is not what TSC says it is.

I keep seeing these things spreading like wildfire. I'd assume most peoples birds are in their second winter due to the pandemic purchase, and many are ignorant to light and stresses changing laying patterns. I'm still learning, all the time, and I think it's wise to listen to people that are more experienced - such as many folks here that share their time and knowledge, rather than random conspiracy tiktoks.

So I have 15 laying hens, and 6 laying ducks and I feed Purina layena and I’ve been mixing in country spirit layer crumbles due to feed prices. But I’ve noticed, egg production has dropped from around 12-15 eggs a day, to about 2 duck eggs, and usually only 1-2 chicken eggs. There was a miracle yesterday and I got three chicken eggs. I had originally thought it was just because of winter, but now I’m beginning to think otherwise. Recently I’ve been hearing about feed being the reason for loss of egg production, and sone things about high soy content in chicken feed. I’ve also heard some rumors about deficiencies which can be “cured” by mixing in rice and pinto beans well cooked into feed if someone chooses to feed the brands which are deficient. I’m slightly skeptical about trying these things, and although I want to change feeds asap, I have just over 200 pounds of the old stuff. What are your thoughts on these events? What feed do you get? How many eggs are you getting each day? I have customers who rely on me for eggs and so I’m struggling with this. Any thoughts appreciated.
Thank you for bringing this HOT TOPIC here for discussion! There is a far bigger and more sinister issue at hand with all of this regarding small farms, gardens and livestock, but I digress! I am not using a brand of feed that is connected to decreased production. I can only attribute my issue to the extreme long cold weather and molting season. However, I am starting to see an increase and steady production by adding in a handful of Kirkland Signature Nature's Domain cat food as a supplemental treat. Overall appearance of my hens greatly improved!!
Guaranteed Analysis:
Crude Protein 32.0% Minimum
Crude Fat 14.0% Minimum
Crude Fiber 3.0% Maximum
Moisture 10.0% Maximum
Zinc 120 mg/kg Minimum
Selenium 0.3 mg/kg Minimum
Vitamin E 150 IU/kg Minimum
Taurine 0.15% Minimum
Omega-6 Fatty Acids* 2.4% Minimum
Omega-3 Fatty Acids* 0.3% Minimum
Total Microorganisms* Not Less Than 1,000,000 CFU/lb
(Lactobacillus acidophilus, Bifidobacterium animalis)

The rice and beans add protein and the two ingredients said to be now reduced in the TS/Purina feed. They are actually good for chickens.
On a side note, I no longer trust the ingredient list or percents since there is no trustworthy agency, ie one that cannot be paid off, to police the companies, esp companies whose owners and ceos have ties to WEF.
Well said~!! You just pinned the tail on the donkey!!!

I keep seeing these things spreading like wildfire. I'd assume most peoples birds are in their second winter due to the pandemic purchase, and many are ignorant to light and stresses changing laying patterns. I'm still learning, all the time, and I think it's wise to listen to people that are more experienced - such as many folks here that share their time and knowledge, rather than r
Has anyone had the feed independently tested?
Not to my knowledge but again I’m new to this feed issues just thought I went crazy after owning chickens for about 8 years and this being my first fallout with eggs. I actually was more interested in cameras and potential predators that were stealing eggs. It’s the feed. Oldest layers I have are 4 years and as young as 8 months. So it’s not an age issue either. Increased protein solves the problem no matter the intent by feed companies. Buy whatever add more scraps to the yard and I have seen a nice quick turn around. I haven’t posted in a long time and finally checked in here to see if anyone else was having issues. Surprise this topic was on forum.

It would be interesting to see lot numbers/batch numbers on the suspected bags of feed, and test those bags versus another batch. Did somebody maybe mismix a batch? Purina's batches must be HUGE. They must have lots of checkpoints where something would be caught, but... (story time)

I used to work in a photo lab. Back in the negative and enlarger days, another coworker had to print 500 of an image. Everyone who saw it said, "Haha! Looks like that lady is taking a cake out of her dishwasher! Did you set that up correctly, Fred?" Fred showed everyone that yes, he had set it up correctly.

It was the photographer's mistake. He had made some errors (reversed the image on an internegative, for those who wonder), and the picture intended to show a woman putting a cake into the dishwasher, and the plate came out clean, because the dishwasher was so awesome. (Text in the image would have been a huge red flag, but there wasn't any.)

Even better, I had to make 100 copies of some computer art, back when computer art was very basic looking. I was using 8x10 sheets of Ektachrome film ($$$). The image was supposed to show a really good carpet cleaner that had two heads: one to expel hot water ("Water hating! -- hydrophobic head," with a cute graphic looking mad), one to suck it and the dirt back in ("Water loving! -- hydrophilic head," same cute graphic with smile). Except the customer wrote "Hydrophalic head."

I had to argue with the customer service person to call the customer and tell them to redo this image. "But that's what they sent us," she said.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom