Feeds affecting laying?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Pics
I don't think it's completely fair to write off everybody that may be having actual problems either. These were not all inexperienced people that had no idea that production slows down. As someone who worked in a quality control (human) food lab, my guess is that some bad/poor quality lots/batches were OK'ed for the myriad reasons employees want to cover up mistakes (e.g. you get fired for ruining batches) and some bad batches got out.
that is also a point to consider:
'The internet' isn't one locale.
The feed in California isn't milled in Connecticut.
and all it takes is one truck being parked in the sun for too long to change the nutritional values of at least the outermost feed bags.

I believe it was in the horse community that they had some issues with feed from TSC being spoiled.

Bravo @8shotsmorethots
Very, very well said.

You know who doesnt have a conspriacy theory website or YouTube channel?

My 75 year old neighbors down the street who have raised eggs for the community for 30 plus years.

Their whole flock shut down as well after Halloween and restarted in early December once they ditched Producers Pride food. That was WITH supplemental lighting. Same amount of lighting for the past 10 years plus, no changes to previous years. Birds of varying ages 9 months and up. ONLY change was the FOOD. Sorry, switch was BEFORE the solstice. Daylight hours still decreasing then. So now what??

I’ll be sure to let them know tomorrow when I see them again that people here think they are fools and ignorant and how their “trust has been abused”. What a total bunch of CRAP! Those type of comments will surely help us all.

Sorry but this is happening folks.

Repeating that its a lie, not happening, is a conspiracy theory or the newbies just don’t understand chickens is really extremely sad. Bullies don’t win in the long run. Truth wins.

Thought people were here to learn and share.
Guess that depends on the mods.

Disappointed.
Will you test the feed with me? Please?

I can't get anyone to A) agree to test feed with me, or B) pay any attention to the fact that my chickens are laying plenty of eggs while being fed one of the feeds in question.

Last edited:

My 75 year old neighbors down the street who have raised eggs for the community for 30 plus years.

Sorry but this is happening folks.

Repeating that its a lie, not happening, is a conspiracy theory or the newbies just don’t understand chickens is really extremely sad. Bullies don’t win in the long run. Truth wins.
I don't think they are fools or ignorant for concluding the feed caused their hens to stop laying.

What do those experienced neighbors think happened? That they got a bad batch of feed? Or that the company changed the formula of one or two brands so that hens would stop laying eggs (whether the intent was to control the food supply or cut production costs or something else)?

And how did they fix the problem? Simply feed a different batch or brand of feed? Or decide (without testing it) that the problem was lower protein and the best way to fix it is by adding a low protein supplement?

Edit to correct grammar

Last edited:
I don't really know how to respond as I don't want to drag this into a completely off topic discussion, but I think you're 100% wrong and your analyses about "conspiracy theorists" aren't based in fact or reality.
Right now the "conspiracy theorists" are batting 1000 on most subjects, and it seems that people suffering consequences are the ones that didn't heed their warnings. But oh well.

Ok, Daylight, age, breed then
The Daylight would be what one would expect to get in MA in Nov Dec and Jan. All birds about 8-9 months old. Isa Brown, Marans, Welsummer, Buff Orp, Wyandotte, Blue Rock Cross, Black Sex Link

Now, what can you tell me with that information? Absolutely nothing, because you insist on me excluding the most relevant information: all but one completely stopped laying until I switched feed, and now they're all laying again like they nothing every happened, and that's the same story with everyone else experiencing this phenomenon. But people like you would rather shove your heads in the sand and call us "gossipers" looking for "cheap thrills" and attention, rather than burden yourself with any potentially disturbing thoughts. I find it to be disingenuous, insulting, and shameful.
I am also in MA.

Have 7 that are 1.5 yrs old. And 7 that were laying before daylight dropped that hatched April 2022. I feed Purina all flock.

I went down to 2 laying in Dec (started dropping in Sept). Then I had another one start up. Within the past couple weeks mine have started back up that I now have 8 laying.

Lowest I got was 8 in 1 week. Most times it was around 11-12. I am up to 28 in a week.

Zero change to their diets. All Different breeds too. It is just that time of year

I have about 70 laying chickens, usually I get at least 3 dozen a day in winter. Nov. we used TSC brand layer feed. I saw our production go to 2 doz. Dec. we went to 1 doz. last week my husband went out to collect eggs and got 6 eggs. I told my son go look out in coop and make sure he didn’t miss any because he doesn’t usually collect. Son comes in and says no mom there’s no more eggs. So, I couldn’t believe only 6 eggs out of 70. Even on a bad cold winter day never only got 6. So, I switch feed the next day to goat feed. We got 19 eggs, then 20, 23, and yesterday a whopping 25. If I didn’t see the difference from switching food myself I wouldn’t have believed it. No more commercial feed for us. That wasn’t all due to TSC either we just went to another brand called poulin grain manufactured in VT about 3 weeks ago and that’s when laying really took a turn for the worse.

To add in - there has been an intense amount of unusual winter weather the last few months. That means darker days, many without sunlight and extreme cold and storms. I noticed on very dark and stormy days, I got no eggs as the sun never came out. Just a thought to add into the mix? Winter storms and wild winds are very stressful for birds. This is my current ladies first winter so they're still laying, and I'm not in the US, but we have had just insane winter storms across North America this winter.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom