Feeds affecting laying?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yeah, I'm not discounting the fact that something is going on, but I am having difficulty with people assuming it's a government plot without any proof that it is. Could it be a govt plot? Sure. But there's nothing to back that up yet other than people's anger and wanting to blame The Man. There's no logic.

And - she repeats it a little louder for the people in the back - I feed my birds TSC feed. My birds are laying like crazy. Out of 11 layers, I got 9 eggs yesterday. I am also one of maybe 3 people on all of BYC apparently who is actually doing something about it. Rather than just provide conjecture or hypotheses or deny everything, I'm actually getting feed tested. And I'm NOT the one having problems.

If my birds were having problems, I'd have done it already. It isn't hard. It's pretty inexpensive. I have no clue why anyone wouldn't take these steps instead of just repeating as fact what someone else said. It's driving me crazy.
"Inexpensive" is a relative term.
That said, the problem is trying to separate those that are experienced and having problems that are trying to determine the source from all the nonsensical sensationalism. I've also found over time that often trying to help is fruitless. A person in need and want of help will either ask or show interest in that offer and if not then it's a waste of my time because it's never followed through on. Sad commentary on humans but it's my experience and I've had a hard time realizing that and shutting down my time spent in all areas for helping others until they show a genuine motivation to do their part.

So since Christmas I started logging feed consumption and eggs/day and temp outside with sunset/sunrise. It’s for my personal keeping so in years to come I can have true records and not just memory of what the heck is going on. For those that care I would encourage that as well. I keep track of goats on copper/deworming and things like that so treating it the same way. Won’t solve anything this year but I will have honest records going forward. Will log molt and anything else that goes on in my chicken book lol

So get the test done. I am. Not hard.
I believe I stated that we were making that request. I also stated that the feed I have is NOT from TSC. This particular task is not the priority of the day. The work at the grain facility and managing all of the drivers, etc, is however. That's what my son is paid to do, not use his connections to test outside products. He will make that call as soon as he can and then we will still have to get the feed in question down to the elevator which is an hour away, one way, and do it while they are open. No small task. The people on here that seem to think everyone's daily life is the same as theirs is getting a little annoying. Maybe you all should tell Mike Adams that he'd better get on the ball and push back every other testing he's doing in his lab in favor of testing feed.

So since Christmas I started logging feed consumption and eggs/day and temp outside with sunset/sunrise. It’s for my personal keeping so in years to come I can have true records and not just memory of what the heck is going on. For those that care I would encourage that as well. I keep track of goats on copper/deworming and things like that so treating it the same way. Won’t solve anything this year but I will have honest records going forward. Will log molt and anything else that goes on in my chicken book lol
I do that as well. That's also how I know what my egg production has done and when. I also keep track of any extreme weather. Just an old habit from farming days I guess.

Another agricultural site also adds these symptoms of aflatoxin exposure: reduced milk and egg production, growth abnormalities, reduced immune system function, and embryo malformations.

I believe I stated that we were making that request. I also stated that the feed I have is NOT from TSC. This particular task is not the priority of the day. The work at the grain facility and managing all of the drivers, etc, is however. That's what my son is paid to do, not use his connections to test outside products. He will make that call as soon as he can and then we will still have to get the feed in question down to the elevator which is an hour away, one way, and do it while they are open. No small task. The people on here that seem to think everyone's daily life is the same as theirs is getting a little annoying. Maybe you all should tell Mike Adams that he'd better get on the ball and push back every other testing he's doing in his lab in favor of testing feed.
I'm just a working wife, mom, and volunteer with a full-time, demanding career and a small farming business on the side. There are lots of labs that do this kind of testing. I've gotten soil and forage tested before. Just send off a sample. Easy peasy.

Last edited:
I've used Kalmbach for several years. Both feeds are good, but I can get Kalmbach a good $4-5 cheaper than Purina here & we are in Purina country.
I've been feeding Kalmbach 20% Flock Maker for several months. I like it for several reasons: price, buying from a small business, my chickens like it, and they seen healthy.

I've switched to Purina Flock Maker as an experiment, since last Friday. I'll be switching back this Thursday or Friday, whenever the Purina feed runs out.

More of my hens are starting lay after their molting hiatus, but I can't credit that to the feed change. I think it's due to the amount of sunshine we've had in the last few days: More than the entire month of January.
Thanks for sharing! I've had zero egg issues. I'm currently feeding Nature's Best Organic All Flock. But that is only available as crumble. Kalmbach has a similar option in pellets that I want to try.

Kalmbach has a similar option in pellets that I want to try.
I went to their website and found a lot more options than my local supplier carries. I thought about asking if they could order 2 bags of something for me. If not, I'll still get what I've been getting. It's worth asking, anyway. They're really nice people, and I like doing business there.

Yeah, I'm not discounting the fact that something is going on, but I am having difficulty with people assuming it's a government plot without any proof that it is. Could it be a govt plot? Sure. But there's nothing to back that up yet other than people's anger and wanting to blame The Man. There's no logic.

And - she repeats it a little louder for the people in the back - I feed my birds TSC feed. My birds are laying like crazy. Out of 11 layers, I got 9 eggs yesterday. I am also one of maybe 3 people on all of BYC apparently who is actually doing something about it. Rather than just provide conjecture or hypotheses or deny everything, I'm actually getting feed tested. And I'm NOT the one having problems.

If my birds were having problems, I'd have done it already. It isn't hard. It's pretty inexpensive. I have no clue why anyone wouldn't take these steps instead of just repeating as fact what someone else said. It's driving me crazy.
My offer stands. I'm not having an egg issue, but I'm willing to chip in for the tests. No one else is testing, correct?

Someone post the lab on here so I can contact them with my feed. I was ignored posting my luck with labs yesterday. That’s everyone’s answer and I was trying to make that happen. I have the impression you all that keep saying test the feed have labs lined up ready to go so send me the contact and I will ship it off.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom