feedstore chicks?

There are some advantages buying from a feed mill. Being able to see what you are buying first, if they have them on hand is really nice. They usually order from hatcheries not real far away. I've always known which hatcheries the chicks were coming from, because here we have to special order. I'm sure they would tell you if you were to ask, and then have an idea what strain they were coming from.

bigzio

Each feed store has their own policy probably. We have gone in and bought what they had when we first got started and that worked out fine.
Now that we know what breeds we want to keep we ordered 4 hens and 1 roo." Porcelin D'uccle". They combined that with their next order and we got just what we wanted. They seem to be a good representaion of the breed.

Good Luck

BigR

I got two sets of chicks from two different feed stores -both had ordered from different hatcheries, and I'm not sure if I could've ordered exactly what I wanted- but it was an immense plus to actually look at all the chicks available and hand-pick the ones I wanted. Both feedstores also had at least one really knowledgeable "chicken person", which was a great help. I'd suggest going down and looking at what they have before you actually buy them, that way you can get a good idea if they have healthy chicks and have had proper care -there may be a reason if there are only a few chicks left, so be sure to look them over carefully!

Good luck!

I got my chicks from a feed store and they look great! I guess it depends on where they get the chicks from. If you want show quality birds you probably want to find a breeder that shows their chickens because they breed for the ideal breed standards. Hatcheries breed for quantity but not disregarding quality. Here is a picture of my feed store chickens.

groupochickensmb.jpg

Feed store silkie
mrroooooomb.jpg
love.gif

bigzio...since you are the only other Wisconsin-er I know of on here, do you know of any feed mills/feed stores in Wis where I can go in and SEE the chicks, and pick the ones I want? I only want to add a few more, and my last batch (while I am very happy with them!) I had to order from a hatchery and have them go through delivery. I would much rather drive out to get them and bring them straight home. If you know of any place around here, that would be GREAT!
big_smile.png

I got 5 hens from our local feedstore that are top-notch quality. I have kids that are very friendly and love animals, so the staff at the store reccomended 5 types that are laid back and decent layers and fun to watch! I have a buff orpington (she's gone broody, so she's got a surrogate chick, a jersey giant, to raise) an ameraucana, which lays turquoise eggs, brahma, black laced wyandotte and one other. They all get along well and have been very healthy! so we now have 6 hens...an even half-dozen! Good luck!

You are lucky that the employees knew what they were talking about. The feed store I went to wasnt so great... they couldnt tell me what they were, couldnt even say if they were standard or bantam.

They were terrible about the easter pet thing, They had baby ducks, chicks and a bunch of bunnies. :mad:

My BF wouldnt let me take any home but he let me watch them for at least 15-20 min. He even pointed out a few cute ones and helped me "hide" the sick chick from the 3year old whos mommy was saying " try and pet the birds honey".

My white leghorn is the same way. I got her when she was four months old and have had her a couple months. She is just now getting where she will take food out of my hand but it is the "run up, grab it quick, and get out of there" method. I don't know if I will ever be able to hold her but I'll keep trying.
On the other hand, my buff orpingtons are very friendly.

Well the feed store where I live had a ton of those colored chicks for easter and I called to see when they would get others and of course it was "after easter". So I called back and they don't get anything I want and won't do individual orders. No silkies or brahmas or cochins or anything. Just the broiler type chickens, cornish rocks, and RIR and so forth. Dang that makes me mad. I offered to pay up front, and no deal. Wish I had a feed store like some of you guys.

Marie

Back
Top Bottom