Feeling breastbone on 8 day old Bantams???

Kattherat

In the Brooder
9 Years
Mar 9, 2010
Is it normal to feel their breastbones at this age? They have grown a ton in the past week, so I am hoping that I am just being paranoid and that this is just a growing phase. They are eating medicated chick starter and drinking water and pooping normally. All of their breastbones feel the same way when I hold them. They are very active and happy. Their crops are full, but not REALLY full. Should I be concerned? I am a first timer and there is so much to worry about!!

Thanks for any input!

Glad you posted. My RSL chicks are 2 weeks old...they feel boney...I can feel their breast bone. Is this normal? Are they not eating enough? They are growing by leaps and bounds, putting on their darker feathers now. They appear to be healthy other than this.

I'm a new chick-mama; please ease my worry.
fl.gif

Interesting question, I had the same question regarding some 5 month old BR before they made the migration into the freezer. I had been told that birds are ready when you can no longer feel the breast bones... More research and some hands on experience, that is only true for meat breeds. Normal egg or dual purpose birds tend to have more meat in the legs and back, breasts only so so. So I would say your are find, if they were not getting enough to eat the would let you know. The only time I've worried about a bird is when I felt their legs and they felt like sticks.

Thanks so much. I switched from pine shavings to pellets today. I was spending so much time trying to get the shavings out of their food and water. I was worried they could not find the food with all the shavings in the dish. I gave them yogurt with crumbles mixed in...they devour it like hungry wolves!
tongue2.gif

Back
Top Bottom