Feeling Helpless...Hen is lifeless!

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by jbpatwood, Aug 11, 2011.

1. jbpatwood

jbpatwood Out Of The Brooder

May 1, 2011
    Maine
    Three weeks ago we brought home (8-10 wk/old) chicks. We have kept them separate from the already exisiting flock. One on the new chicks (an Orpington) has a minor case of bumblefoot, and is being treated for it. He also has been laying down quite a bit, but otherwise eating and drinking normally. I can not for the life of me figure out what is wrong with him, but I know there is something else. I just went outside to let my exisiting flock out to play, and one of my Barred Rocks is lifeless. Her comb and wattles are turning yellow, and her breathing is very shallow. I don't know what to do! Is this something that she caught from the new birds? This is my first time doing this, and I'm worried I'll lose my whole flock because we decided to introduce more chickens into the flock. How do I treat her? What do I do? I feel so helpless. If anyone has any advice it would be greatly appreciated.

2. jbpatwood

May 1, 2011
    Maine
    Also, I forgot to mention my hen has fluid coming out of her mouth.

3. jbpatwood

May 1, 2011
    Maine
    She just died! [​IMG] Should I be culling the new chickens? Is this something she caught from them?

4. geekgurl

geekgurl Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 15, 2010
    Dallas, TX
    I'm so sorry your hen died. [​IMG] Are there any others that are exhibiting troubling symptoms? Any sneezing, nasal discharge or fluffy up feathery hens? Are the new chicks still quarantined from the existing flock? I wouldn't start culling until you get a better idea of what killed the BR.

5. jbpatwood

May 1, 2011
    Maine
    Thanks so much for replying to me:) I am beginning to think it was a fluke thing. Everyone seems healthy and happy. Last night she began hiding behind a bin we keep in the coop. I thought maybe she was laying an egg (she's 24 weeks). This morning she came out of the coop and just layed on the ground, and was drooling and listless. I could tell she wasn't going to make it. Her comb and wattles were losing color. Everyone else seems to be fine.

We do have the babies quarantined still. I think I'll wait before I get rid of the little ones. I'm hoping this isn't contagious. I have been doing some research, and her symptoms don't really fit the description of any disease I've read about.

6. geekgurl

geekgurl Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 15, 2010
    Dallas, TX
    I'm so glad that the other chickens are healthy. One thing I remember from the books I read before getting chickens is that sometimes chickens die for no apparent reason. Maybe it was something internal.

7. MetalSmitten

MetalSmitten Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 11, 2010
    bloomington, indiana
    check that bin she was in, look for evidence of snakes, or venomous spiders, or mold. just to be safe. if her symptoms aren't the same as your chick with bumblefoot, hopefully it was a fluke, but keep a super close eye on everyone. sending you good thoughts [​IMG]

8. jbpatwood

May 1, 2011
    Maine
    Thanks so much! I'll be checking around the coop today.

GeekGurl...I also read that in a book my husband bought for me...I was just bound and determined not to lose one. It wasn't gonna happen to my lil' chikies! Oh how naive we can be eh?[​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by