Fell Down the Rabbit Hole

Galindog1

In the Brooder
May 12, 2021
Hutto, TX
Hello, finally decided to join BYC after coming here looking for information many times. We decided to get into raising chickens after taking care of three that had been brought into the local shelter. We fostered them and then they were adopted. We were hooked. We started researching what type of chickens we wanted, looked up rules and ordinances (got some good info here), and got prepared. We decided we wanted to go with Orpingtons and by coincidence, the shelter just had two dropped off to them. So we went and adopted them. As for the sample questions, I'll do my best:

(1) Are you new to chickens / when did you first get chickens? We are relatively new (less than a year), started around August of last year.

(2) How many chickens do you have right now?
We currently have nine hens.

(3) What breeds do you have?
Right now we have two Buff Orpingtons, four Lavender Orpington pullets, three newly hatched Lavender Orpingtons, and tomorrow we will be picking up two Chocolate Orpingtons.

(4) What are your favorite aspects of raising backyard chickens?
I love the fact that we have not had to purchase eggs in a long time and fresh eggs are so much better. I also like watching each individual's personality emerge. It is also very calming watching them.

(5) What are some of your other hobbies?
Other hobbies are keeping fish (I have an 80 gallon tank) and taking care of my garden. One other thing that I enjoy doing is rooting fig tree cuttings. I currently have about 15 different varieties.

(6) Tell us about your family, your other pets, your occupation, or anything else you'd like to share.
Besides the hens, we currently have two Schnauzers, two Chihuahuas, one Pomeranian, and one American Min-Pin PomChillian (American Eskimo, Miniature Pinscher, Pomeranian, Chihuahua, and Papillon mix). I work for the State of Texas and live right outside of Austin.

(7) Bonus: How did you find BYC, how long have you known about BYC, and what made you finally join our awesome community? :D
I found BYC when I was doing research regarding raising chickens. I finally joined since I seemed to find most of my answers here.

Back
Top Bottom