Felted Wool Slippers

Discussion in 'Hobbies' started by punk-a-doodle, Dec 6, 2011.

1. punk-a-doodle

punk-a-doodle Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 15, 2011
    Trying felting/fulling old thrift store wool sweaters to sew together some slippers for my husband. I've never done this before, and with every spin of the washer, I'm freaking out a little bit more. Don't want to give him something that looks like the cat puked it up. X) Has anyone made these before? I'd love photos/tips/suggestions, etc. Anything to not think about the wool going though a hot wash cycle like one is never supposed to do with a good sweater. [​IMG]

2. punk-a-doodle

Apr 15, 2011
    Ahaha, this is the best thing ever! One sweater was already slightly felted and went in an XL...and came out child sized. It's like a giant shrink-a-dink. [​IMG]

3. eenie114

eenie114 Completly Hopeless

Isn't felting cool?! [​IMG] My only tip is to not automatically pass over ugly sweaters. One time I felted The World's Most Hideous Sweater (I probably could have been given a medal for destroying it!) and it came out really pretty! Weird how that works. And if you don't want to use it in the slippers, try making a crazy quilt out of them. [​IMG]
    Good luck, and be sure to show us pictures when you're done! [​IMG]

4. Frogdogtimestwo

Frogdogtimestwo Chillin' With My Peeps

May 21, 2008
    How did you make slippers? Did you find a pattern somewhere?

5. peepacheep

peepacheep Chillin' With My Peeps

Ravelry might have some info on felting slippers. Yarn Harlot's blog has had some very funny stories about felting slippers. It was a while back back but it's easy to do a search on her blog. Some of the wool sweaters I have bought at thrift stores turned out to be wool blend. Makes for very odd felting. Let us know how they turn out!

6. MNShepherdess

MNShepherdess Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 11, 2011
    Minnesota
    I've got a few sweaters I got on sale that I felted and now are awaiting my final judgement on how they will be used...it really is fun, isn't it? Please post some photos!! [​IMG]

7. franklinstreetwest

franklinstreetwest Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 31, 2010
    Urban Jungle
    This sounds SOOO COol! I have seen hand crafted felt crocs, but I never considered trying it myself!! I can't wait to see how your project turns out.

Leather cut from a Goodwill coat and whip stitched to the bottom might be a cool addition.

8. zzGypsy

zzGypsy Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 8, 2011
    Last edited: Dec 7, 2011
  9. punk-a-doodle

Apr 15, 2011
    Eenie, it is so much fun! I just died when I saw the little shrunken sweater when it came out of the wash. I didn't realize it would shrink that much. XD Oh gosh, that is so great about finding a use for tacky sweaters. Maybe if I get a reindeer one this year...

Frogdog, there are TONS of styles/methods out there (you can even felt your own wool with no knitting), but I am probably going to use these instructions:
    http://www.homemade-holiday-gifts.com/felted-slippers.html

Peep, ugh, it took forever to find sweaters tagged as being wool, and when I did, there were only two of them!

MN, haha, I will, but I think they are going to end up looking like something a first grader made. D:

Franklin, I wanted to do that so much, but the only leather-y things they had were coats for 2o-25 (!!) dollars and one too small purse. And I just died when I saw how much craft store squares of 'decorative leather' cost. I went with...you know, I'm not even sure what it is. XD Some sort of black weave.

Gypsy, I am sure we'll all have a good laugh at my photos when I have some. XD Oooh my gosh, those ones in the links are awesome!

10. ChickiKat

ChickiKat Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 10, 2011
    Eastern Kansas
    Those are just too stinkin' cute, I am going to have to hit the Goodwill store soon...

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by