Female and Male not liking each other?

MochaKat21

Hatching
9 Years
Jun 15, 2010
Florida
I own two Chinese Painted Quail/Button Quail; I've had them for about four weeks now. Recently though, about two weeks, the female had a strange mini wound by her eye. Within asking my teacher from who I got the birds from, he told me to separate them. I did that and the mark eventually went away. It's been about two weeks from that occurrence, and the two birds are now together again. But just this morning the girl quail had a pretty large wound on the back of her head this time! I just checked it out, and it was still a little bloody, so it's obviously new, so I just separated the male and female again. But what if the two are both males!? I have a cinnamon one that I know for a fact is a guy because he calls all the time, and then a white one who doesn't call at all, so she's probably a girl. Can a guy not like the girl he's with!? I really hope that my two quail are okay together
sad.png
I'd really like some advice...

Were they together before you got them? How old is the female? Buttons don't like anyone 'new', if they weren't together before, that' probably why they are fighting. Also, if the female is not breeding for any reason, that could be why the male is attacking her. You should make sure there is plenty of hiding places in their pen, and it probably wouldn't hurt if you seperated them to an extent. Maybe a divider inside their pen, so they can see each other but not get to each other. Another thing you can try is giving them meal worms. The male should offer them to the hen, this will help to form a bond between the two.

The call you are referring to is not a crow; male button quails' crows sounds like the wind blowing. The 'hehehe' sound is a type of locator, both males and females do this. Even if they are both males, they should still get along if they were together before you got them.

This is the male crow (the wind sound): http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sNv_g2tBnAU
This
sound (the hehehe sound) is done by both male and female buttons:

Last edited:
Yeah they were together with about 6 other birds at the same time since they hatched. I have a 20 gallon terrarium with a lot of plants inside so they can hide. The female hasn't laid any eggs yet, so that might be why. Right now I put a mini cage inside the tank, and I switch them out three times a day, so they can still see each other. Yeah the guy one that's cinnamon does the wind blow; I've seen him do it loads of times. When I started playing those videos both my quail started peeping really loud, it was funny. They sleep together when I go to bed, so they don't have to be both a guy and a girl to do this?

No they don't, they just like to snuggle
smile.png

I think on that video there was a female calling as well. They aren't as loud as the males. If it's not on that one, search on youtube. I know I heard some when I was looking last night.

Besides loving eggs, what fruits and veggies do button quail like to eat? I know NOT to feed them avacado, insta-death! My two never seem to eat any of the food I give them
hmm.png

I'm not really sure, mine won't touch them. I just give mine some millet and meal worms, they're happy with that
smile.png

I've read that they like grapes, but mine won't touch anything. I bought some wheat grass seeds to give mine as a treat (the sprouts, not the seeds). I have yet to try that
hmm.png

Last edited:
I've given mine bits of apple, but they end up throwing it to the other side of their cage. I'm going to the pet store today, gonna buy some millet spray and meal worms :S

Back
Top Bottom